What mods should I make to imoprove gas mileage? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What mods should I make to imoprove gas mileage?

CinnamonNY

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT 4.0L
I'm pretty set on getting a K&N FIPK, and I was thinking of getting Flowmaster put on. I was wondering what Flowmaster would best go with a 1996 xlt 4.0L OHV, and is dueling the exhaust worth it? Any other suggested improvements mainly for fuel economy would be apprieciated.
Thanks
Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do the simple things first. Sparkplugs, wires, egr valve, and proper tire alignment and pressure. When I owned my mustang, I used a K&N filter for HP. Now, it is worth 1mpg (a big deal for X's). I am sure there will be good reply's. These guys in this website give A Lot of good info. Good luck!!

The k&n is is good for 1-2 mpg and with a flow master 1 more. Dont do the dual exit though. I would go with a 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 out of the muffler. This will give increased flow without hurting back pressure, which gives you more torque. :) check all sensors and stuff like that. Good luck.

check all sensors and stuff like that

I will second that, especially your O2 sensors. You may even try cleaning your MAS. Do a search on that and you will find all you need to know on how to do it.
I'll continue the trend, Good Luck!!

Thanks for the input guys. I was also thinking of putting Edelbrock IAS shocks on it too. Right now I believe it has Rancho RS5000 on it, and I was wondering if it would be a wasted change.

Another thing, I noticed the speedometer has a mind of its own, and it decides when it like to work and when it doesn't. I was driving the and all of a sudden I look down, and the speedometer reads 50mhp, a few miles later I look down and the needle is dead on 0mph while im driving on the highway. I haven't had a chance to really check anything out on it yet, so I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I'm putting this up as a seperate post also.
Thanks again for your input
Brian

Some people say synthetic motor oil will increase mileage, too. Aldive can tell you all about that.

Do a full tune-up (wires, plugs, oil, thermostat) a K&N Filter, Flowmaster, and try cleaning the injectors with a good cleaner. Make sure your tank is low when you put it in there. Also make sure you get the right temp thermostat as too low of a temperature will force the engine into open loop (bypassing the O2 sensor) and will decrease mileage. Pretty much that's all you can do for mileage. I mean these things get pretty good MPG for SUV's, but if that's not good enough it's time for a Metro.

The most important thing about about improving gas milage is how hard you mash the gas peddle.

The only things I've done to mine is a tune up which improved it's MPG from a consistent 15 intown to 16-17, on the highway it'll range from 20 to an all time best of 24.

The vast majority of MPG gains is how you drive it. be smooth on the gas and brake and you'll see an increase with no mods.

Just a thought...

Taller tires = more lift, better looks, and better highway mileage (with the possibility of a decrease in city mileage depending on how your truck is geared and how much you use your right foot)

Cinn,

I did a Gibson cat back and FIPK on mine and saw about a .75 to 1 mpg gain on the freeway and no gain in town. I think I'm pretty easy on the throttle most of the time, but the Gibson really sounds nice, so I do goose it every now and then.

For sure do NOT do a dual exhaust for any reason other than cool looks. It would be very difficult to build a true dual exhaust that would be emissions legal, practical as far as cost and taking up underbody space and would do a good job for performance.

Stick with the factory routing, get a good cat back like the Gibson or Borla and drive gently to maximize mileage. And buy Unorthodox Racing's underdrive pulleys whenever they get them built if they make them for your 4.0L

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by unclemeat
The most important thing about about improving gas milage is how hard you mash the gas peddle.

The harder you mash, the better it gets:D

Is it also true if i put the shifter on the 1 i go faster too
and if i want to roll the odometer back just drive in reverse? :confused: :D

Even though my Ex is not a tiny little itlian sports car it should work right? I mean driving i reverse is fun, a tiny strain on the neck but other than that its cool.:D :D :D

Back