What Mountaineer would you choose to modify for performance, 2nd or 3rd gen?!?!? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What Mountaineer would you choose to modify for performance, 2nd or 3rd gen?!?!?

What Mountaineer would you choose to modify for performance, 2nd or 3rd gen?!?!?

• 347 Cubic inch supercharged crate engine in an 2nd Gen. Mountaineer.

Votes: 26 56.5%
  • Heavily modified 03' Cobra engine swapped into an 3rd Gen. Mountaineer.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • Both are good choices.

Votes: 6 13.0%

• Total voters
I guess if you have the funds then go for the 3rd Gen. But if you don't like most of us here, go for the 2nd Gen and use some left over money (that you would've spent on the 3rd Gen) and use it to modify it to the gills. That's just my opinion. Not that it counts around here, ya know. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Saleen EXP,

So when would you like for me to come over and help with the 03' swap into the 3rd gen. sir?

The major hassle will be the electronics and PATS, other than that it'll be a snap!

I'm at your beck and call sir, just lemme know ;)

Not only that we can go drink beer with BIGANT!

Or instead of all that 03 cobra swap crap, ya could just go with a forged built 4.6 stroked out to 5.0 shortblock port and cam the stock heads. And slap a Kenne Bell from a GT modified to fit the truck running about 15-18 psi of boost. Then you have all the power and strength of the 03 cobra stuff without swapping much else. Besides the usual like MAS and injectors and such. Or if someone could afford the money and time just fab up a nice twin turbo system. But for mot, that is beyond capability.

mountaineers are dumb..

:exp: :D

i heard it only takes like 1100 dollars to make a 03 cobra run 11's with a little more to make up for the weight difference you could be running the fastest x

03 Cobra and the explorer are two completely different animals in alot of aspects. Pretty much nothing is the same in terms of the engine or the tranny. Only thing that is the same is the displacement of the two. It may only cost about $1100 for a pulley, chip, tune, shifter to get into the 11's, it still doesnt mean that you can get there with the explorer with only that much. Properly done so as to be reliable and streetable, it would take about $10,000 to get into the 11's for a 2nd gen 5.0 X and it would take about $15,000 to do the same thing in the 4.6 X. Now there are exceptions to the rule like nitrous and stuff like that. But i am not talking of that stuff. I am talking about power that is available at the push of the pedal.

i think the 2nds gens are built better

How about an Aviator, when the prices drop a little. Buy an aftermarket DOHC 4.6 with about 5.0 liters, and the compression of a Cobra. Make it AWD, and hopefully some strength parts can be had for the 5R55W. Add the KB 2.2 liter with the new Cobra intake, and an SCT flasher(dyno tuned).
I wish the dash and console of the Aviator was more attractive. All of the 3rd gen. Ford's interiors look like they could be made with plywood, and covered in leather. It's the same kind of difference between the 94+ Mustangs interior, and the older Mustangs. Except that Ford has gone backwords with the newer models, not forward.
DW

CDW6212R said:
How about an Aviator, when the prices drop a little. Buy an aftermarket DOHC 4.6 with about 5.0 liters, and the compression of a Cobra. Make it AWD, and hopefully some strength parts can be had for the 5R55W. Add the KB 2.2 liter with the new Cobra intake, and an SCT flasher(dyno tuned).
I wish the dash and console of the Aviator was more attractive. All of the 3rd gen. Ford's interiors look like they could be made with plywood, and covered in leather. It's the same kind of difference between the 94+ Mustangs interior, and the older Mustangs. Except that Ford has gone backwords with the newer models, not forward.
DW

To each his own on this one, but I would modify a new gen explorer that is lighter and less expensive than an Aviator. I also think the explorers look a little more aggressive in the front end design than the Aviator or New Mounty do. Just my taste. The DOHC 4.6 is very nice and all, but those KB's are offered for the 4.6 SOHC too. Whipple 2.3 Liter 2300AX charger kit is too. No they arent offered for the 4.6 explorers anymore per-se but that is of little significance to a person that is serious enough to sink this kind of money into a vehicle like that.

I got my mountaineer into the 13's. But i have to convert to 2wd since i have torn out my front pig and transfer case.

boominXplorer said:
I got my mountaineer into the 13's. But i have to convert to 2wd since i have torn out my front pig and transfer case.

Thats good to hear boomin. I dont know if you did already but it would be nice if you made a little write up of it and post it in its own thread so others can browse by and realize that these vehicles can go fast. You running DR's or slicks yet? Whats your 60' times looking like? Keep up the good work and keep us informed.

rocket 5979 said:
Thats good to hear boomin. I dont know if you did already but it would be nice if you made a little write up of it and post it in its own thread so others can browse by and realize that these vehicles can go fast. You running DR's or slicks yet? Whats your 60' times looking like? Keep up the good work and keep us informed.

Wow I'm late but I'll let you know whats up...

Still collecting parts for 2wd swap as rear end needs attending to. Im going either a ford racing LS or a selectable locker with 4:10 gears in the rear. I got 2wd spindles in the garage. As for tires Im going to with some 31x10.50 M/T's on some 15x8s. With the AWD and 100 shot i was doing 1.65 60' times with a final in the 1/8 of a 9.08. I am in a minor financial bind at the moment but will be back up and running by mid summer.

Back