What OBD scanning equipment shall I have? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What OBD scanning equipment shall I have?

pilotmogge

Reaction score
City, State
Sollefteå, Sweden
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
I bought this -99 Explorer a week ago and of course there are some issues with it.
The most important for me at this moment is the transmission error, the flashing O/D light.
I understand from reading lots of threads here that it is of greatest interest to retrieve the error codes.
So my question is: What reader/scanner should I get to be sure it reads Ford manufacture specs, especially transmission related codes?
Me myself am leaning towards a cheap Bluetooth device and use it with Torque.
Is that an adequat solution? Can that configuration present and manage the Explorers specific codes, transmission codes in particular?
Sometimes when reading about those readers sold online they seem to manage standard common error codes, mainly corfrelated to various Engine and combustion systems. But Im interested in reading and managing all the systems in my X and therefor I ask - Can a Bluetooth reader do that together with Torque, or should I focus my search on another kind of reader/scanner and/or software?

Mogge

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, i'm using ScanTool XL with ford additions + FORScan, these progs'are scan almost all electronic modules in car, cheap bluetooth elm327. I'll not advice such apps as torque, because it's not so informative. Cheers

I don't know your budget but here are some options:

An older snap on MT-2500 brick will give you GEM, ABS(wheel speed too, even some shops don't have it!) and lots of other parameters. They are under $200 if you are patient on ebay. Try to get black programmable carts, but the older red ones that are past your year are fine too. Some can actually activate transmission solenoids.

obd-2.com is also excellent, be sure to get the PWM+ISO option. About $140. For $240 it will work with many newer vehicles (CAN).

Forscan is good too, you can find them on ebay for under $40. Search for "ford vcm obd". It has many features but won't read ABS on my 96. It has very good powertrain, and GEM coverage.

Most of the generic obd2 scan tools (and some can cost $250) are very limited. Even if they seem to have many features you miss out on many Ford specific data parameters. However, if the transmission code is considered powertrain it may read it.

I have a Cen-Tech OBD-II reader that I got from Harbor Freight for around 80 bucks. I am sure it doesn't have all the bells and whistles as the ones in the previous posts, but I've had it for a year and it hasn't let me down yet.

Me myself am leaning towards a cheap Bluetooth device and use it with Torque.
Is that an adequat solution? Can that configuration present and manage the Explorers specific codes, transmission codes in particular?

Yes, that's sufficient. Actually you need an Android phone/tablet too...
In Torque settings you have to enable additional Ford codes (free) - "Manage extra PID's/Sensors"-> "Add predefined set"->"Ford (including Power Stroke)".

Ok, I ordered a cheap Bluetooth device,
169683790_2ed9a43b-bf64-4065-95f5-aec070384fbe.jpg

So lets see if its any good, otherwise I must get a better one as you guys suggest.

I downloaded the free version of Torque to my Android pad and it looks great so far, however the option to enable Ford codes doesnt come up, from "Manage available OBD2 PIDs" I only see "Pontiac" and "GM/Opel/Vauxhall" to choose between.

Maybe the Ford option turns up if I buy the full version?

I intend to do that anyway, seems like a nice software and price is nothing to discuss.

Mogge

So, I got my cheap Bluetooth scanner.
169683790_2ed9a43b-bf64-4065-95f5-aec070384fbe.jpg

I ran it with several softwares and it didnt report a single error code. Like if I have the Worlds most flawless vehicle! In Torque I cant find the option to download Ford specific pids.
The softwares, such as Torque, was communicating ok with the vehicle and was showing a lot of other real time data, but as I said, there was no codes what so ever.
Is it possible that error codes are hiding and are only readable with some other scanner?

I thought that these types of scanner could deliver most codes, but as for translating and decoding it takes the right type of software. I mean I hoped that my cheap setup at least could report an empty figure, code, like: "p0741" and if so it is up to me to manually go further and look up the code in other sources.

Any ideas?

Is your check engine light actually on or just the flashing OD light ?

So, I got my cheap Bluetooth scanner.
Any ideas?
Check your PM.
Some scanners are not fully compatible. I have bought three, all V1.5 (blue). Is yours V1.5?

Dave, no engine light ever on, just the flashing od light on occasions. It feels like everytime I expect tcc lockup and it doesn't, I get the flash instead. It's like I know when to anticipate the lamp as I feel the lockup doesn't show up.
Oh, yes the cel works, it lights up on every ignition as it should and then goes off.

Sonic, What's PM?
I think I saw or read something about V1,5, maybe in the add itself where I bought it from.

Yes sonic, I just checked sellers ad, and it says elm327 ver 1,5.

However, when trying scantool.net software it claims that my device is an elm327 "clone" and won't support it.

Other software don't have the same issues with my device.

And sonic thanks for your message, I'll sure check it out !

I tried yesterday to retrieve codes with my elm 327 Bluetooth scanner and Torque Pro.

Not a single errorcode whatsoever, not even when O/D light is actually flashing.
Software/scanner seems to work otherwise, a lot of data is presented. I took a 40miles testride and in main part of the cases the TCC locked up as it should do, cruising both around 30-35 and 50-55 mph. But for some reason sometimes lockup doesnt kick in, lets say in 25% of the cases. in those cases often the O/D lamp starts blinking at the Point when TCC lockup shoud be expected, but sometimes it doesnt do even that.

And I almost feel that a more powerful acceleration up to 55-60mph or more followed by a slow throttle release to cruising makes it "easier" for tranny to lockup.

With so many depending parameters, and involved Components Im still hoping for a cheaper solution than a removal and expensive overhaul. I cant get out of my head that its actually working except for in around 25% of the cases.

PCM reset? In order to get the pcm to re-learn drive patterns?

And what about oil-flush? Or electrical bad Connections or faulty sensors?
Its a shame that I cant present any error codes!

Back