What oil to use to lube o-rings on a factory R-12 system | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What oil to use to lube o-rings on a factory R-12 system

Creager

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport 4x4
I've done some research reguarding converting to R-134a, but what it has come down to is its going to be cheaper for me to simply stick to R-12.

Some of you may be thinking that i 'would save so much more in the long run by just converting.' In reality, my girlfriends dad is licenced to own R-12! He could probably answer my questions, but thats another story. eheh...

He's exclaimed to me he would give me the refrigerant (although i think ill let him charge it!). Thats great, but i gotta build the system first! New compressor, hoses, orfice tube, evaporator, condensor, and accumulator all arrived yesterday. Although, the only seals i can buy are the green-barrier o-rings along with R134a oil to install them with. I understand the seals would wouldnt hurt a thing with an R-12 system, but the oil? I know R12 and R134a are a great combination to create weapons of mass destruction with, for my air conditioning! But what kind of oil can i use to grease up the o-rings with?

I could just ask my girlfriends dad this, but its late and I would have to wait to ask another day. Besides the fact that I probably wouldnt remember, i just saw him today and forgot to ask!

Any answers?

I was told mineral oil..

Mineral oil is correct, the same type you will use to add 7oz with to your system. 3 oz compressor, 2 oz accumulator & 2 oz condensor.
Your gfD may have the oil already, if not call a couple a/c shops/stores to see if they carry it. I've always used R12 refrigerant oil, I'm not sure if the mineral oil they sell in drugstores is the same thing.
The green o'rings are fine.

Any AC supplier, even residential ones, will carry NYLOG. I highly recommend using NYLOG as it has superior sealing properties inaddition to being a great lube. Make sure you get the one for the type of refrigerant you will be using. They make 2 or 3 varieties.

Back