What PCV valve?

SCEXPLORER

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport
I just wodering why everyone is replacing their PCV valve? What are the symptoms in replacing your PCV valve? i have 69k miles and so far it runs fine. Should i change mine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remove the PCV valve, and shake it. If it jingles, you're fine, if it doesn't..replace it.

pcv

The valve is good to replace once a year it runs about $2 so it costs nothing! It will relise exsese pressure from inside your engine and if it is clogged then it could cause a problem so $2 is cheap insuranse. I would replace it if I were you and do so every year from now on. I no I can not spell so please no comments thanks.

Re: pcv

So could i get this in pep boys or autozone? Do i just ask for a PCV valve for ford explorer?

where can i locate the pcv valve on my 92 x??

SCEXPLORER - If you don't want to change it yourself, Ford will replace it for free at 60K miles. Since you have 69K on it, you might be to far past for them to still do it. It is in my '97s Warranty Information booklet and I had to show it to the Ford Service Advisor before he would believe me. He said no one had ever brought it to their attention before. I was in for other service so I asked him to put a new one on while he had it.

pcv

You will find it in any parts store and I got mine at autozone for $2 so go pick one up. I know I could wait and get mine changed at the dealers in a couple of years but I want to want to change it every year. The pcv will be by the fuel filters and oil filters if your autozone is like the one I go to but it is much easier to have them look it up in the computer and tell you the number then look threw a book.

i changed mine at 70k i now have 130k and it is still operational. it can get gummy though. its somthing i check every oil change but i dont see the need to change it every year. i guess it doesnt harm anything since its so cheap. just think you could save that money that you spend on the pcv and by you a chessburger or soemthing. mmmm im hungry. okay im going lunch thanks guys.

PCV grommet

My experience with PCV valves is that the valve itself usually is fine. I clean mine occasionally with carb cleaner. The problems I have had though is the grommet they reside in. If the fit is not tight, it can cause a vacuum leak and cause a lot of power related problems and rough idle. If the valve rattles, it probably is OK. I have seen some strange configured PCV valve that may be different than the straight thru type I am familiar with. These type may be better to replace than do the rattle test. There usually is some type of grommet or gasket that seals around the valve. This should be replaced if the valve does not seat snuggly. Since the valve is mounted to the engine, the heat will degrade the rubber grommet over time.

Eliteconcept, On a 92 It is in the valve cover on the driver side toward the back. It is directly below the vacuum 'octopus'. There is a short hose going from the intake manifold directly to the PCV valve (hose goes onto/over PCV) in the valve cover. The one I bought from Advance had an F shape connector on it, just remove that and toss it then plug the other part into the engine and reattach the vacuum hose. Be careful, the one I purchased had a metal (silver) body and the one in the engine was white. That threw me off for a while.

Yeah. The Motorcraft ones are black, while the one i bought was silver. Had me looking for the PCV valve for quite a bit. LOL!

Opps! Gave wrong description of location, have edited my above thread to be correct.

Back