Other Make & Models Mod
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
43°48′48″N 91°13′59″W
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4 do'
Between the funds being available and the truck driving like crap I am going to dive into my solid axle swap. I am very familiar with what needs to be done. The first thing I am going to do is locate the axle, build it, set it up etc prior to tearing into the current suspension.

I've seen axles sell for $50 when I lived in WI but these usually were from lawn ornament vehicles and needed all new bearings, rotors, etc. I also see Dana 44-60 axles on e-bay for the $600-800 range.

I have a lead on a HP from a 79 F150 with good rotors for $350. Just curious what all you guys are paying for your axles and what for sure gets changed out immediately. This setup is no coils, no steering but I do get the Dana 44, lockouts, rotors, calipers, radius arms.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FYI - I just had a post it on my computer when I came in this morning. 77 Bronco D44 axle w/ discs, runnning 302 w/ C4 and d20 also 9" rear for sale wanting to know if Know anyone intersted. I may but wont know for a while. But I mean dang I know the guy is buying the whole Bronco back from insurance adjuster for 900 after they totaled it and gave him 4500, hell he only paid 1000 for it. Sweet for him. Too bad it was a new parts truck he bought for his already intensely built Bronco with front and rear ARB's and a built 302.

I paid $75 for a 75 bronco 44. It was basicly a housong, but I wanted it that way. What you spend is really gonna depend on what you want.

I paid $650 for a '76 D44 with disks, shafts, and radius arms.

I got mine for free.:p

Farmers don't do crap with there old trucks around here. I pulled it so I took all steering, coils, arms, and mounts.

Know it sits in my garage with 4.88 gears, ARB, Alloy Shafts, CTM joints, and Hy-steer. And know I have no plans of using it. Saving it for my dad so when he goes full size on his 69' Bronco.

What are your plans for those Robb?

Back on the topic. I saw 2 EBs in the salvage yard last week, one with discs one with drums. I didnt think to ask the guy what he wanted with for the one with discs, but isn't that the right width and they have a 5 x 5.5 bolt pattern right?

Just to be on the safe side, try to find a D44 from a 73?-77 F150.

The c-bushing wedges were welded on and can be ground off and relocated further in on the axle for better angles for the radius arms.

Pretty much any axle you find under an old truck or at a junkyard will need to be rebuilt. Unless it is custom made or snagged from someone's project, it will be in ROUGH shape.

You can find D44s from free to $600 depending on what year it is and what all comes with it.

And just so you know, HP isn't absoulutely neccessary. It is only 20-30% stronger than a LP. EB axles (specifically 76-77) are good finds.

Hey Cory,
On my 44 the C-bushing wedges on mine actually look molded. I guess they could be welded but you can grind them down? Sounds like a long process.

Derrick,
How have you been? I'm finely about finished with the SAS. I'll flex it out today so I can measure for shocks. Then I can get down your way.
I'm not sure if the wedges were ever molded, though they do look like it. You can buy new wedges from B.C. Broncos or Jeff's or...etc. and weld them where you want them.
What is your plans now?

Hey man,
I ditched the 44 and 9" plans and went another way. I can't say on-line cause its a secret. I'll PM you.

This should be good. It my shocks come in soon, I could drive down next weekend.

Originally posted by Derrick C.
Hey Cory,
On my 44 the C-bushing wedges on mine actually look molded. I guess they could be welded but you can grind them down? Sounds like a long process.

The 78-79 Bronco and F150s are cast. Just like the vaccuum disco section of a D30.

Back