What problems ?- thoughts on extended warranties? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What problems ?- thoughts on extended warranties?

BajaXplorer

Reaction score
City, State
San Marcos, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 2WD
When we get the Explorer next month, Im sure its goingto have its mileage up there since it will be a 96/97.

On our '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee, we purchased an extended warranty when we bought it, not thinking we would ever need it. Were we WRONG!! Its paid for itself in the 5x we've had it in for service. fuel pump, intake manifold gasket, 2 CV boots, rear TC shaft seal, speedo gear seal, 2 valve cover gaskets

Anyways Im wondering what everyones thoughts are concerning the purchase of a aftermarket extended warranty from the web etc.

I know I could save that $$$ into a fund for repairs. I dont want to think that any vehicle I buy will have problems but in reality it will. I've seen a TON of issues with Explorer trannys having to be rebuilt early on in mileage on these and that isn't cheap!

So anyways my question is what do you all think about them and what issues do you think I will see on a 96-97 model year?

Thanks,
you guys are a great help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WEll, here are my thoughts.

I thought the same thing when I got my truck( this will save me money) little did I know! basically if something that is lubricated didn't break it was not covered. Also if they found out I did any MOD to my tuck ( my 3 inch lift and 33's ) it VOIDS the warrantee! I ended up canceling the warrantee with 100 % refund. It's to bad that company was sucky cause damn they had GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE. Also this was WARREENTEEbyNET. from KellysBluebook. com.

So now I have no warrantee and hoping I don't blow the Trans, or motor. I think it will work out better without it anyway.

Actaully they CANNOT void your warranty unless the problem you are having is related to those particular modifications.

I have a 3.5" lift on my Jeep and they havent given me crap except one time. i found a dealer that didnt care and that was that.

Mods dont always cause issues, and unlessthe warrnaty company/dealership can prove that they have to repair it.
If they give you crap, move on to another repair center.

That is what I thought, but think of it this way... 33" tire verse 28" tires cause ware and tare on tranny and motor. Rather then fight I just said ok cool.. then I asked for a refund witch they gave me 100% so I was happy!

Well one dealer I went to gave me hell for my hypertech chip when I had it in there. They said since it had engine and tranny programming, the warranty for those systems was shot. I took it to another dealer and they didn't give a hoot and performed the repairs. It all depends on the dealer, the service advisor, and how closely Ford watches those dealers. The service depts of some dealers get audited by Ford frequently and the advisors there get really nervous. There was one guy with a Lightning that the only mods he'd done were shocks and racing paint/numbers. They wouldn't service his truck under warrantly cause they said he was using the truck for a different purpose (racing) that the usage clauses of his warranty didn't cover.

To answer your question, here are some of my repairs that were covered under warranty: rebuilt tranny at 16,000 mi. new spark plug wires at 32,000 mi. some type of lubrication in the transfer case because it was making a mettalic sound when turning the wheel (V8 AWD) at 14,000 mi. sunroof leaked at 3,000 mi. (It took them 3 visits to fix) and a few other things that I took care of myself. So if you add that up its around $1,800. The warranty is a nice thing to have.

Originally posted by Alec
There was one guy with a Lightning that the only mods he'd done were shocks and racing paint/numbers. They wouldn't service his truck under warrantly cause they said he was using the truck for a different purpose (racing) that the usage clauses of his warranty didn't cover.

That's a load of crapola. They must honor the warranty unless they have proof (video cam, witness, rubber in the wheel wells, etc.) that the Lightning guy was using it as a race truck.

Back