What should I have my shop look for? 00 5.0 Checkup | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What should I have my shop look for? 00 5.0 Checkup

Precision

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
I just bought a 2000 5.0 with 112k on it from a single owner and it's been well maintained it seems. Just to be sure I want to have my shop go through it so I know all about it. What should I have them look for specifically? Any trouble spots in particular?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ball joints, sway bar end links, inner/outer tie rod ends, front/rear brakes, parking brake, shocks, any fluid leaks, battery, tires. no particular problems with this V8 model.

the 5.0 and its transmission are very reliable and nearly bullet proof. with only 112k it has many, many miles of life left in it. just check the above stuff.

if possible, try to get service records from the PO so you know what's been replaced (if anything) and what services have been performed (trans, cooling system etc.)

In addition to what Koda mentioned, check for coolant leaks around the top corners of the timing cover. Quite common for this engine because of very narrow gasket around the passages to the water pump.
I just bought a 2000 5.0 with 112k on it from a single owner and it's been well maintained it seems. Just to be sure I want to have my shop go through it so I know all about it. What should I have them look for specifically? Any trouble spots in particular?

It was just inspected 800 miles ago, transmission fluid service 5k ago I believe

I've noticed a ticking sound from the engine but it still has good power, idles correctly and drives fine. When I'm hard on the gas I don't even hear or notice it. I do notice a tightness when turning full lock towards the left for turns though

I've noticed a ticking sound from the engine but it still has good power, idles correctly and drives fine. When I'm hard on the gas I don't even hear or notice it. I do notice a tightness when turning full lock towards the left for turns though

sometimes the passenger side exhaust header can crack and cause a ticking type of noise.

i don't know about the full lock left turn issue. is it AWD or 2WD?

turning thing Sounds like a cv joint issue?
as far as the ticking noise, like Koda said the passenger side exhaust manifold is prone to cracking. Mine is cracked at around the same mileage... it should tick louder under load or acceleration though. And even more when its cold when it gets cold your crack would be big and when the engine heats up the metal expands and "fills in the crack" so the crack is less evident.
Your mechanic should be able to listen and tell you if that is what it is...
other than that Just check the fluids to make sure there all clean, air filter, fuel filter could be changed, maybe spark plugs and spark plug wires.. if you do decide to do spark plugs and wires though get the specific kind that is recommended on thsi forum ( i forget what they are now but they are fords motorcraft brand though) kinda spendy but this truck is picky on that. I usually run some sea foam through my cars gas tank when i buy them just to help clean out the fuel system... these trucks are awesome though... they lack a little in the mpg category but they are reliable as hell people beat the hell out of them and even not take care of them and they still keep kicking so good job on a nice buy hope it treats you well!

I've owned BMW, Lexus and every other Japanese maker out there and I bought this to go back to the good ole simple rock solid. I had a 99 4.0 and my trans **** the bed but I hear these are great and I plan on treating this one well. I'm perfectly fine with sacrificing mpg for something solid and simple with some character. I hear the ticking at low rpm and if I hammer on it the sound goes away and I hear throaty v8. I heard a similar light ticking sound in my old boss's expedition when he had a bad manifold or something like that. It's been maintained that's for sure. One owner since new and old lady driven.

if the ticking is not the exhaust header, it might just be a valve lifter, worn tappet or push-rod. not a big deal as long as it's not too loud. you might try adding some Marvel Mystery Oil to the engine a few hundred miles before your next oil change. if it's a sticky lifter it might free it up.

if the ticking is not the exhaust header, it might just be a valve lifter, worn tappet or push-rod. not a big deal as long as it's not too loud. you might try adding some Marvel Mystery Oil to the engine a few hundred miles before your next oil change. if it's a sticky lifter it might free it up.

Can I just get that at NAPA? Instructions on the bottle haha? It's not loud, no CEL. There should be no reason the engine is bad it was driven by an old lady and well maintained, it's kinda like my Gran Torino truck.

Can I just get that at NAPA? Instructions on the bottle haha? It's not loud, no CEL. There should be no reason the engine is bad it was driven by an old lady and well maintained, it's kinda like my Gran Torino truck.

old lady driven isn't necessarily always better fyi... if its the typical only drove it to the store or to church... short trips like that are the worst type of driving for a vehicle... highway miles are the best. then again I always try to find something older with less miles and from an old lady or something which kinda contradicts my statement lol.. but the combustion cycle creates water as a bi product.. and when the engine doesn't heat up enough before it gets shut off then the water condensation doesn't have enough time to burn off. and can get in your oil and exhaust and what not..

and on a 2nd thought you said it has that noise but doesn't have a CEL.. do you know it doesn't or is the bulb just not lit up? I am sure it is no big deal but might wanna put a scanner on it quick and make sure there are no codes stored in the computer. sometimes people pull the CEL bulb before selling to hide problems..

old lady driven isn't necessarily always better fyi... if its the typical only drove it to the store or to church... short trips like that are the worst type of driving for a vehicle... highway miles are the best. then again I always try to find something older with less miles and from an old lady or something which kinda contradicts my statement lol.. but the combustion cycle creates water as a bi product.. and when the engine doesn't heat up enough before it gets shut off then the water condensation doesn't have enough time to burn off. and can get in your oil and exhaust and what not..

and on a 2nd thought you said it has that noise but doesn't have a CEL.. do you know it doesn't or is the bulb just not lit up? I am sure it is no big deal but might wanna put a scanner on it quick and make sure there are no codes stored in the computer. sometimes people pull the CEL bulb before selling to hide problems..

When I turn the key to accessory mode all the correct lights are lit, check engine etc. the vehicle has 112k on it in 13 years so were talking about 8500 miles a year. It's only ticking under acceleration not idle.

Back