• Register Today It's free!

What the Heck(Stuck Ball Joint)

92 Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Hey guys, I am back(i know i am getting annoying with my stupid problems but you guys are the best at fixing them hahaha) does any one know how to remove very stuck ball joints. it is still on the knuckle on the car and i have tried just about every thing. heating, pounding, PB Blaster, really pulling, and have repeated. If any on knows how to get this off short of using hand gernades that would be greatly apreciated. Thanks alot and i promise i wont post for awhile. HaHa Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I usually remove them with an impact gun and a ball joint removal kit. It works like a powered C-clamp, pushing the ball joint out.

tool.jpg

Hey guys, I am back(i know i am getting annoying with my stupid problems but you guys are the best at fixing them hahaha) does any one know how to remove very stuck ball joints. it is still on the knuckle on the car and i have tried just about every thing. heating, pounding, PB Blaster, really pulling, and have repeated. If any on knows how to get this off short of using hand gernades that would be greatly apreciated. Thanks alot and i promise i wont post for awhile. HaHa Thanks

I am slightly confused. Are you asking how to remove the knuckle, or to remove ball joints on the car? Either way the knuckle must first come off. After the knuckle is removed you would use the "C" press above to remove/install the new Ball joints.

1. You remove the upper pinch bolt
  2. Mark the camber bushing (so you can install it back in the same position).
  3. Remove the camber bushing (pry it up evenly with some screwdrivers)
  4. Loosen the lower ball joint castle nut (leave it on a few threads)
  5. Use a pickle fork on the lower ball joint (between knuckle and TTB) to separate it

Steering_knuckle_labels_WEB.jpg

When we did the ball joints last time my friend that was helping figured he could whack the old one out with a hammer/baby sledge. After 10 or so hits and it not moving we hooked up a ball join press type thing (big Clamp thing pictured above) and had it out in 3 minutes.. Would have been faster but we don't have access to air tools at his house.

~Mark

no, the knuckle and the ball joints are still on the car but i cant remove the castle nut, or what ever it is called from the lower ball joint stud. Sorry for the confusion

have you removed the cotter pin??

Heat.. NOT from a propane torch, get a bottle of MAP for your propane nozzle. much hotter, works better for freeing up the frozen parts

no, the knuckle and the ball joints are still on the car but i cant remove the castle nut, or what ever it is called from the lower ball joint stud. Sorry for the confusion

Is your XLT 4x4? If so did you already remove the spindle? One the spindle is remove you can go through the hole with a large breaker bar to place a socket over the castle nut.

Back