• Register Today It's free!

What to do first

watisgood

Reaction score
City, State
LoNg IsLaNd
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer sport
Hey guys im new to this forum just bought an 97 explorer sport 110 miles. What should i do besides a fresh oil change flush all the fluids, and the air filer. Any idea?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

spark plugs and wires couldn't hurt, how do the brakes look?

Besides changing (check for leaks) the differentials (front and rear if 4wd) fluid, the transfer case, the trans fluid, and the oil, flush the radiator (the thermostat could probably be refreshed), check the shocks (if original it's time to replace them), check the brakes, all your lights, you might want new wiper blades, check the AC for good pressure, get out your OBDII code reader and make sure you don't have any old codes to watch for, check your lights all around, lube the chassis according to specs, you could replace (or have them professionally refurbished - less $) your EFI, clean your throttle body. But maybe that's just me :)

Thanks guys for the help it seems i have some work ahead of me im sure this forum will guide me the right way

trannys on that year were quite finniky.
That would need a look see. Fresh fluids at least.

I had the assumption that it wasn't a good idea to change the fluid when you had such high millage on an automatic?

High mileage? I have 252k miles on my 4.0 95. I had to replace the trans prematurly because I didn't take care of it. Pull the pan, change the filter, flush all 15 quarts through the cooler (it's easy) and add a transmission filter. That thing should live another 115k miles easy (unless you abuse it)

Back