• Register Today It's free!

What to look for in a use 2007?

spotdog14

Reaction score
City, State
East Lansing, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
Greetings everyone. I have been out of the Explorer game for a while, previously I have owned a 1995 Limited and a 2002 XLT but currently drive a 2010 Fusion SEL.

Anyways the girlfriend and I are looking at a 2007 XLT 4.0L 4WD. From what I can tell the only option that it has is the color matching bumpers. It has 58k miles on it. The only down side is that it does not have a class IV hitch but its not THAT big of a deal.

So what are the issues with this model year? I am assuming Ford has for the most part fixed all the millions of issues my 2002 had by this point (such as rear differential noise and general suckyness and transmission issues). So what all should I be on the lookout for when I drive this beast? Obviously I want to take it somewhere where I can test the 4WD system (its not AWD) but I have driven it once and it had been sitting for a few days but she started right up and after she warmed up everything is working great.

Any opinions would be great.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless you intend to tow something more than 3000 lbs, you don't need the bigger hitch (part of the HD towing package).

Also, if you don't need more towing capacity, you don't WANT the HD towing package with the V6. The towing package (with the V6 only) changes the axle gearing from 3.55 to 3.73, which decreases fuel economy. If you need the 5000-5500 lbs towing capacity, it's a necessary sacrifice. But if you won't be towing more than 3000 lbs, that HD towing package would cost you at the pump whether you tow or not.

Unless you intend to tow something more than 3000 lbs, you don't need the bigger hitch (part of the HD towing package).

Also, if you don't need more towing capacity, you don't WANT the HD towing package with the V6. The towing package (with the V6 only) changes the axle gearing from 3.55 to 3.73, which decreases fuel economy. If you need the 5000-5500 lbs towing capacity, it's a necessary sacrifice. But if you won't be towing more than 3000 lbs, that HD towing package would cost you at the pump whether you tow or not.
Thank you very much for the information, I did not know this. So any 06-10 Explorer that has the Class IV hitch has a 3.73 rear? I'm still use to my good old Ranger that had the 4.10 LS rear.

After looking up the information on the towing capacity of the Class II hitch I think we should be alright just towing a 12 foot jet boat.

Also on a side note she found a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee that she really likes thats the same price as the Explorer so we shall see what she picks. I am gunning for the Explorer because I know I am going to get stuck driving either one since she will take my car because she has the longer commute to work.

Just to clarify on the tow package and rear axle ratio.

The V6 with tow package gets the 3.73 rear axle (versus standard 3.55. All V6 has 5 speed transmission)
The V8 with tow package gets the 3.55 rear axle (no change. All V8 comes with 6 speed transmission)

The V8 with 6 speed has a very low first gear which is why they do not change the axle ratio. This is also one of the reasons the V6 with tow package gets lower gas milage than a V8 with tow package.

Good luck shopping.

if it is a ford dealer you are buying it from try to get them to flush tramsmission fluid that will save you 450. (most shops dont have tools for the job and you cant do it yourself) also get the keycode to the door,

if tan interior check the hinges on the make up mirror read they break alot

if it is a ford dealer you are buying it from try to get them to flush tramsmission fluid that will save you 450. (most shops dont have tools for the job and you cant do it yourself) also get the keycode to the door,

if tan interior check the hinges on the make up mirror read they break alot
Awesome, thank you for the advice.

It is a tan interior (which I am not a fan of, I have had one and promptly totaled the Ranger so I don't have a good track record with them). It is a Ford dealer that it is at, should I be worried about the hubs or anything at that mileage? Also since it has not hit the 6/60,000 mile powertrain warranty yet what should I have checked out before it hits it in 2,000 miles if we do decide on getting it?

Also on a side note she is a Jeep/Dodge fan so originally she wanted a Jeep Grand Cherokee but we couldn't find one in our mileage/price range but I went and drove a 2008 Laredo last night that had 66,000 miles on it and while the 3.6L V-6 was gutless it rode like a dream, I was really impressed. So now I am going to have to sell her on the Explorer over the Jeep.

Double check the radiator and wheel bearings. I just bought an 07 Limited about 6 months ago, with 38k on it and both of those items went out within a couple months :( Our 6 disc CD changer also went out! Apparently they didn't work out ALL the bugs with the radiator, or I just got the bad one in 07. I would got with the Jeep myself, since this X has done me in with Ford forever. Everyone's got an opinion though.

Also, I thought 07's were only under a 5yr/50k warranty.

Good luck!!

my 07 has 100,000 miles all factory, you would think it came off the car lot, steering,balljoints,shocks,bearings, all tight no rattles at all in truck. very happy,

my neighbors 2002 s-10 blazer with 30,00 pampered milles is ready for the bone yard.

Back