• Register Today It's free!

What to look for (pre purchase)

RyanHall

Reaction score
City, State
Northlake, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
03Expedition EB
Hello all. I'm new to the forum and I will be buying a gen 3 this weekend. I have my heart set on the V8 and wanted to ask the experts about what to look for. I had an 02 about 7 years ago (V6 Limited) and didnt need to worry about anything at the time. I absolutely loved the truck. Now its time for another one as my wife actually wants me to buy her one. With the average milage creeping up around the 140k mark,what should I look for other than the obvious? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Ryan

Northlake, Texas

v8 id check on timing chains.

V8 is the right choice if possible. Also try and go for a 2003+ if you can, as that just takes out some of the early model known issues to be worried about. Check the intake manifold, as the original ones get brittle and fall apart. Also pay close attention to the shifting of the transmission. Push it hard as well as baby it and see how it responds. If there is any delayed shifting or hard shifting, it may be on the very early stages of needing work.

Thanks. It's looking like it may end being an Aviator. I'm going first thing in the morning to see it. Think the same is true about a 2003 aviator? As far as early bugs worked out?

Back