What to look for...

ssei95

Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
TBD
Hello,

I am helping my sister purchase a used vehicle, and she has settled on the 2002-2005 Explorer with AWD / 4WD, 3rd row seats and not white in color. Although I am a car guy (Pontiac / GM), I am not familiar with the Explorers at all. Are there specific known issues I should be looking for when purchasing one of these? Certain years better than others? She doesn't have any desire to modify this over time, just something that will take her and her 2 kids thru the rough northern MN winter driving.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Many will tell you to avoid the 2002s as a more trouble-prone year; however, many of the more common problems with these (3rd gen Ex's) are across one or more years.

I would not buy one without a documented history, particularly a detailed maintenance history. The best bet IMO would be to buy one from a original owner that has not been abused.

Items to look out for: the 5R55W tranny seems to have more than its share of problems, some early models have rear ends that whine, all wheel bearings go bad (fronts usually first, but all four eventually), and some early engines spit out spark plugs (more often if installed incorrectly), and the back valance panel breaks on many. Cheaper probems may include blend door actuators, 4WD modules, door contact swtiches, and wiring chafing in the driver's side door. Most will say that the V8 gets the same gas mileage as the 4.0 V6, but has more power and is less problematic - I would tend to agree.

My 2002 fully loaded Limited 4.6 V8 AWD is nine years old this week, now with 115K miles. While not perfect, it has been reasonably reliable, and has never stranded my wife.

Bottom line - don't cheap out and buy a dodgy one - you may well regret it. Hold out for a good one, and good luck. You should be able to find a good one for cheap if you are diligent, as the 3rd gens are not that popular.

Back