• Register Today It's free!

what u think of my setup?

migga

Reaction score
City, State
Harker Heights, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
ok guys, i have almost everything chilling here in my room as soon as i get my next paycheck everything goes in....here is what i have planned.

- 5 1/4 Fosgate Component System (Front)
- 6 x 8 Kenwood Excelons (Rear)
- 4 Gauge Monster Cable
- 1 Farad Fosgate Cap
- 2 10'' Fosgate HX2 Subs
- Fosgate 500a2
- Kenwood External Crossover (pending)

i still haven't decided on which HU i'm gonna run but i'll figure that out next month. What i was wondering is if i really need the External Crossover. Does it help the amp any even if it has a built in Cossover? and would the components in the front sound better than 6x8s? Any suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Migga

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice setup. you wont need the external crossover. what amp are you going to run the components with? they wont sound very good with just the headunit powering them.

really? well that just kills my plans.
i guess i'll just have to get a 200.4 fosgate and might as well run the excelons off of that too.
So does this mean the component system will sound better than excelons in the front?

just get a 2 channel amp for the components in front. you can run the rear 5X7's off the headunit. the front stage is more important. the rear speakers are just meant to "fill in" the soundstage.

thats cool.....
ok so i amplify the fronts....
now would it be better to keep the 5.25s in the front, or throw some 6x8s in there?

the 5.25 component set is much better than full range 6X8's. so you're better off with the components in front.

what i did was: i put 5.25" components in the kickpanels. and i put 6x8's in the doors. the components are powered by an amp and the 6x8s are powered by the headunit.

cool then....but now since i'm looking at a multiple amp setup, this means i gotta look at a HU with 2 preamp outputs. Now do the outputs have to be front and rear or front , rear, and sub?

you could just use front and rear. run the subwoofer amp off the rear outputs.

You're still missing a few dollars worth of stuff. With 4 guage wire it won't be anything unless you get big fuses. If you go with smaller fuse sizes, then the you'll lose a lot of the potential in your wire. The larger amped fuses are expensive, like $15 a set. The fuse holders are even more expensive. Save about $80 - 100 just for the extra bits you'll need just for connections at the bare minimum. Just in case. For example, just a wafer style fuse block cost me $50, a 4 guage wire adapter $10, on one end only. It's expensive, but you'll be glad to know the install was bulletproof.

oh...i already got the big fuse for the 4 gauge wire, and i also have a distribution block that accepts 4 gauge in and 2 8 gauge out...which can also be reduced down to 4 gauge on that end too.....so i should be aiight...

migga

Originally posted by JTang
For example, just a wafer style fuse block cost me $50, a 4 guage wire adapter $10, on one end only. It's expensive, but you'll be glad to know the install was bulletproof.

I used to use a Stinger wafer fuse holder, cost me 40 bucks... I got a new one for my Explorer install, 6 clams from Parts Express... Cracked open the box, "wow, this is pretty nice for 6 bucks", then "wow, this looks REAL similar to my Stinger holder", then "wow, I can't see any differences between the Stinger and this one, other than no Stinger written on it". Then I got to wonderin'....

Back