what would cause these codes on 1995 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what would cause these codes on 1995 explorer

almond900

Reaction score
City, State
fond du lac wi.
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xlt & 98 xlt
it is an obd1 in a 1995 explorer 4.0 vin x. I had it scanned because the engine light is on and these are the codes I got and the explanation from a haynes manual, problem is I don`t know what would cause the codes. where do I start to fix it. I got some bad info from a shop before and spent $300 on a maf, air charge temp sensor and both coolant temp sensor,coolant guage switch and cleaned the iac motor and it still has a cel and a idles at 400 rpm. so here are the codes..what do I need to do to fix it? please help me.

214= cylinder identification(cid)circuit failure
335 =egr sensor voltage out of range
411=unable to controll rpm duringlow rpm self-test
412=unable to controll rpm during high rpm self-test
632=transmission controll switch(tcs)circuit did`t change states during KOER

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok 214 cylinder id fault, this is generated by the camshaft position sensor, my manuals state that if the car starts, you should clear the code and then see if it re-appears.

335 egr sensor is out of self test range. first check the hoses to the sensor for splits. The manual then tells you to check for other codes and investigate them first. If you have access to a hand held vac pump and a DVM, I could give give you some voltage checks to verifiy if the sensor is the problem.

411 and 412 these two basically indicate that the ECM cannot control idle speed. First inspect all hoses, vac lines. Repair any leaks. Then inspect the throttle blade, check for binding. Then clean the throttle body. If no problem is found, remove the IAC solenoid and clean it.

632, this has got me a little confused. From my manuals, it would indicate that the self test was run, and the switch was not cycled during the test. or the harness is damaged. Were you running it in test mode?

how do I clear all the codes? I have cleaned the throttle body and the iac and still have the same issue. I have not found any vacuum leaks and did notice if you quickly hit the gas the truck has a 1-2 second hesitation before it will rev up. the truck was running when I got the 411,412 and 632 codes.

you can clear the code by disconnecting the battery for a couple min. Clear the codes and then re-check for codes.

is it possible the new maf is junk? I checked the tps and iac and maf for voltage and ohms, all came back with incoming valtage being in range and ohms being in range except maf, with key off and checking ohms on maf I get 134 ohms, that is telling me there is a short in the maf, am I correct or just hoping I found it?

The codes that you have are not related to the MAF. Clear the codes, then drive it and check which codes return.

going to check it out this afternoon, I will let you know what I come up with

changed the dpfe box for the egr and cleared the codes, all is good now, thanks guys.

Back