What's the cheapest way to do an American flag paint job? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's the cheapest way to do an American flag paint job?

I was kicking around the idea of doing an American flag paint job on my 2 door Explorer. The maroon paint on it now is pretty faded and scratched up.

I wonder if anybody else knows if it can be done cheaply. I'm talking rattle can paint or something like that. I don't have any painting equipment or access to it. So I'm thinking that with some proper preparation to the paint now and some proper post painting care I can end up with something that doesn't look like crap.

Oh...plus I've never painted a vehicle either. But of course I've used rattle can paints before. I do have a garage and the ability to seal it off for a clean environment.

My truck isn't my daily driver. It's basically a trail rig that also pulls truck duty from time to time. So I'm not looking to enter any shows or anything, just to make it look neat. You know.

By cheap I mean a 100 bucks or something. So obviously any work that will be done I will do. I don't even want to spend 4 or 5 hundred on a cheap Macoo paint job.

Any thoughts or ideas on this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do it over several days.
White, then red then blue. ( three days )
Get a nice supply of thin line, and masking tape.

Use a template to keep the stars and stripes uniform.

Excellent tips!

I did get a chance to see a minivan painted sort of how I want. (some dealership did it and has it parked out front) Anyways their stars don't look the best and have white overspray on the blue paint. So I'll diffently use a template for sure.

I wonder even if I get a good paint job on it if it will look cool. Or will it look to 70's?

id you consider a large custom decal/sticker of the Flag?

What about doing a flag theme and not the entire flag? Ya know?

*Sorry Ron! :D

Attachments

• flag.jpg
    flag.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 11,310

Where's the paint job? Hehe...

That's almost exaclty what I was thinking. I want the stars to be first and then have stripes flowing back to the rear of the truck and down the hatch.

I was trying to Photoshop something on my truck, but I'm not that good. I see you just colored it on there. :)

Here we go. Good 'ol Microsoft Paint.

This is probably what I would do. At least it's a rough idea of what I would do. I won't know exactly until I can put tape on the paint.

Attachments

• flag.jpg
    flag.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 7,295

That would look cool.

I saw a guy down this way in a Ford Probe with a real cool flag paint job.
It was the American Flag and it was painted on like he had driven through the flag. It was flappin' on some parts and there was a few holes in it. It looked pretty amazing. The guy who did it did a fantastic job.

I wish I cad my camera.

Back