Whats the difference between suspension and a body lift? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whats the difference between suspension and a body lift?

95ExplorerLtd

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Hymera, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Limited 4x4
What is the difference between a suspension and a body lift>?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A suspension lift will lift everything but the axles and tires. A body lift will only lift the body. The main difference that concerns me is the fact that I want 2 or 3 inches if I use the body lift I can keep those 2 or 3 inches when later upgrading to a larger lift.

Yeap! body lift lifts only the sheetmetal. Your engine, trans, frame and everything else that is attached to the frame stays put. This way you gain some room under your rig, thus avoiding some body damage while off road. You can also put some bigger tires. If you want to see how suspension lift works just jack up the front of your truck but do it by the frame not the frone end so everything else hangs and go untill your front wheels are barely touching the ground. That's your suspension lift. That's what you gain if you put one on but without the jack. Should be about 4-5 inches. Truck rides higher and everything else remains higher, of course except for your rear end and front. High enough?

Simply put. thank you.
Later,

What would you recommend just for a little extra clearance and a bit of a more bigger and agressive stance that is noticeable but not too much, I want some bigger tires, but not that big, and I wont be doing serious offroading, mostly for on-road purposes. Also, will any kind of lift work on a Limted with the air ride suspension?

If you're just looking for a more aggressive tred, then I would recommend going with the body lift. A 2 -3" body will typically give you about that much more room to go with larger tires and/or more aggressive tred patterns. I believe with a 3" body lift you can fit either a 31 or 32" X 10.5" without fender rubbing. The air ride system wouldn't be effected by this type of lift that I am aware of. Also the 3" body will run you typically around $100. A 2.5 Susp. Lift from James Duff on the other hand will run you close to $450 plus s/h. I believe that you can still use stock length shocks with the 2.5" lift, however I don't know how that will effect your "air ride" system.... I decided to go with the 5.5" suspension and 3" body so that I can put a 32 X 11.5" m/t tred on the truck. Basically it depends on the economics of it all...Suspension lifts are more advantagous, but for what you do, is the price going to be worth it?

Good luck!

Back