whats the difference between a factory-installed tow hitch and an after-market tow hitch? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

whats the difference between a factory-installed tow hitch and an after-market tow hitch?

rachick

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
Please excuse my ignorance. I don't know much about the subject yet. That is why I'm here.
I am told by the Ford dealership that the Explorer can tow up to 5000lbs with a factory-installed hitch, but only like 15000 - 3000lbs with an aftermarket tow hitch.
Can anyone tell me why that is?
Is there a real difference or do they just not want to guarantee it?

and is the trailering package something different than just getting a tow hitch installed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Etrailer has 3 different tow capacity hitches for the Explorer going from 2000 to 6000 pounds. None are to be used with a weight distributing hitch.
Doesn't make much sense to me but I'm no engineer. I would opt to go with Fords recommendation. 2020 Ford Explorer Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com

Please excuse my ignorance. I don't know much about the subject yet. That is why I'm here.
I am told by the Ford dealership that the Explorer can tow up to 5000lbs with a factory-installed hitch, but only like 15000 - 3000lbs with an aftermarket tow hitch.
Can anyone tell me why that is?
Is there a real difference or do they just not want to guarantee it?

and is the trailering package something different than just getting a tow hitch installed?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If you have the 2.3L engine, your towing weight is 3000 lbs. Vehicles with the factory-installed tow package usually have other items designed for towing heavier weights. I believe it also contains an engine oil cooler. From what I've read, towing 2000+ lbs should require a weight distribution hitch.

Peter

The brochure that peterk9 provides in his link above tells you what came in the factory tow package for a 2020 - (7 Wire Harness and 4pin/7pin connector, class III hitch receiver, an engine oil cooler, and cargo area storage management system (whatever that is).). Max capacity with the tow package and the 2.3 is 5300 lbs, and it does NOT require a weight distribution type hitch. Without that package, you are at 3000 lbs of towing capacity.

The hint on the weight distribution is the max tongue weight - 560lbs - which with a trailer you want the tongue weight around 10% of the total trailer weight -and 560lbs is right around 10% of the max load allowable.

(For comparison, my F150 has a factory tow package, and is rated to tow up to 7200lbs (2.7 Crew Cab 4x4), but has a max tongue weight of 500lbs. Anything over 5000 lbs towed requires a weight distribution hitch. Only the max tow package there gets you out of that...)

It's been a while, but on older Fords [like our former 2013 Flex] things like Trailer Sway Control would not be active without the factory tow pkg, and supposedly couldn't be enabled after the fact [not sure if Forscan could do it].
Don't know if that's still the case. But, I specifically sought mine with a tow pkg [and have used it a few times].

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If you have the 2.3L engine, your towing weight is 3000 lbs. Vehicles with the factory-installed tow package usually have other items designed for towing heavier weights. I believe it also contains an engine oil cooler. From what I've read, towing 2000+ lbs should require a weight distribution hitch.

Peter
Thanks for that info. that is very helpful. It looks like the 2.3L engine can tow up to 5000lbs only if the Class III Trailer Tow Package (52T) is installed. otherwise, you are limited to 3000lbs.

I'm still kinda skeptical about a V4 engine being able to handle that much. But according to their specs it is just as powerful as the V6. both are at 300 horsepower.

The brochure that peterk9 provides in his link above tells you what came in the factory tow package for a 2020 - (7 Wire Harness and 4pin/7pin connector, class III hitch receiver, an engine oil cooler, and cargo area storage management system (whatever that is).). Max capacity with the tow package and the 2.3 is 5300 lbs, and it does NOT require a weight distribution type hitch. Without that package, you are at 3000 lbs of towing capacity.

The hint on the weight distribution is the max tongue weight - 560lbs - which with a trailer you want the tongue weight around 10% of the total trailer weight -and 560lbs is right around 10% of the max load allowable.

(For comparison, my F150 has a factory tow package, and is rated to tow up to 7200lbs (2.7 Crew Cab 4x4), but has a max tongue weight of 500lbs. Anything over 5000 lbs towed requires a weight distribution hitch. Only the max tow package there gets you out of that...)
Thank you for the information. That will be helpful for me to know when looking at trailers.

Thanks for that info. that is very helpful. It looks like the 2.3L engine can tow up to 5000lbs only if the Class III Trailer Tow Package (52T) is installed. otherwise, you are limited to 3000lbs.

I'm still kinda skeptical about a V4 engine being able to handle that much. But according to their specs it is just as powerful as the V6. both are at 300 horsepower.
My 2020 Limited had no problem towing this rig 400 miles each way over the winter. It only got about 9mpg, but never felt lacking otherwise.
20231215_101846.jpg

Back