• Register Today It's free!

what's up with my brakes?

dec322

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Eddie Bauer
Last week on the way to work my brakes were making a horrible noise when I pressed the brake. When I got home I looked at them and the inner pad on the passenger side was worn all the way (i just replaced the pads in august). I thought maybe the caliper was sticking but i wanted to wait and make sure. So I replaced all the pads and now I have a new problem. When I press the brakes now the explorer pulls to the left (driver's side). What is the problem. I can think of two things:

1. Passenger side caliper is screwed and will not close.

2. Driver side caliper is screwed (i'm not sure about this one.)

Please help.....its annoying the crap out of me.

Brakes

I had the same problem with my brakes, i replaced the front brakes and rotors last july, and we took a trip to NY to visit my family from IL, on the way there my acr started to pull a little to the right when i would step on the brakes and make a terrible grinding noise. When i got to NY i pulled all the tires everything looked fine, except the rear pads, so i replaced them. DIDNT WORK. I took my car to Merlin Muffler and brakes when we got back and they worked on it for a whole day, replaced the brake line from the caliper, turned the rotors, put on a new caliper etc etc. DIDNT WORK. It was sooo frustrating driving and having it sound like my front right tire was gonna fall off. It turns out that i guess my rotor was sooo warped that it had to be replaced, which i dont know why Merlin didnt notice it the first time. So i replaced both front rotors and pads and put some kind of silencers on the pads,...I still think the problem goes further than this cause it doesnt feel they are 100% still but they a MUCH better.

So the noise was from the warped rotor? My noise is gone....it was the metal from the inner pad rubbing on the rotor. The only problem now is that its pulling to the left. I think I'm going to take off the calipers and put some more lubrication on the caliper pins. Hopefully it'll work.

Back