Whats up with this spark plug? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whats up with this spark plug?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's probably broken, but something is still hanging up. You probably need the tool. From what I hear, you did pretty good changing 7 without breaking.

So close!!

Its unthreded because i can feel the last thread everytime i pass the top thread, it looks like it should just pull out, am i wrong?

It is broken and the threaded part separated from plug. You need a good pair of needle nose pliers or a hemostat to pull it out. Then you will require the special tool.

If it is still together and you are stuck just spinning in the hole feeling the last thread jump I would try spraying a little carb cleaner down there and let it work on the carbon the holds the lower half of the plug in. If the two pieces become two individual pieces then you definately need the tool.

I didn't know the Explorer had this spark plug issue. I'm getting ready to do the spark plug change on my F150 with the 5.4L 3 valve which definitely has the 2 piece spark plug design for 2004-2007 engines

Aside from the obvious issue, how long would it have taken to change out the plugs? I was taking a peak under the hood of my 06 and it looks like it's going to be a pain in the arse

2 hours,with coffee break. and its all easy . just be aware one of them may break and your waiting for the lisle tool. once i got the tool in the mail, i just had to use a 9mm deepwell and extention to wiggle the plug till it broke the rest of the way(ceramic was still intact ) then the tool worked perfect. just be sure to crack them loose and shoot them w/ some thing like wd40 and let them soak for awhile, 1 hour i guess. and go slow and alternate from plug to plug maybe even spray some half way through also use a shopvac and a piece of 3/8 rubber hose to clean out any pieces if needed. I didnt really have any .

thanks for the info. I think I'll wait for the tool to come in and then take a stab at it.

Does anyone know if Ford fixed this problem (2 piece spark plug) in the 09-10 V-8's. Or should R&R on the spark plugs each year be a way to avoid the problem?

Spark plugs

Yes, the changed the head design after Nov. 2007 mfg. date. I think they increased the clearance hole sizein the head.

They also changed the spark plug for 2008 - 2010

My advice once you change all of them: once a year just remove the COPs and remove the sparkplugs and just screw them back in. I have been doing that for the past 9 years and it takes 30 minutes using 18v impact driver.
That's after my first horror sparkplug replacement at 100k.

Back