Wheel slip on wet pavement, weird tire wear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel slip on wet pavement, weird tire wear

kware1

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
Hey folks.

On my 2002 EB V8, I've been noticing the truck can hardly hold the road when its raining. It keeps sliding like it wants to hydroplane. It also seems to pull to the left a little when driving. When checking on this I noticed the rear driver side tire had way more wear than the rest. Mainly, in the center, and to the point that it must be replaced. I saw some threads here about bad 4x4 modules, but came with other symptoms I'm not experiencing.

I'm wondering if the bad tire is causing slip, or if slipping causing the tire to go bad. Also, the car sounds loud in the back when driving. Don't know if there is an axle of dif problem.

Any insights would be helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey folks.

I'm wondering if the bad tire is causing slip, or if slipping causing the tire to go bad. Also, the car sounds loud in the back when driving. Don't know if there is an axle of dif problem.

Any insights would be helpful.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That one bad, worn down tire will cause your auto 4x4 to kick in because it has a lot less tread than the other tires. All 4 tires must be close to the same tread wear and depth to keep that from happening. That one worn out tire is most liklely causing wheel slippage and the auto 4x4 kicking in will have some clunking noises associated with it which is normal. You may also have some issues with a bad tie rod or some other wheel alignment component causing that one tire to wear out fast. Best bet, take in for a wheel alignment inspection and they'll tell you what is wrong with it. You will need to get a replacement tire of the same size and tread wear as the other good tires still on the vehicle and you will need a wheel alignment at the very least to align all 4 wheels/tires.

Thanks.

I brought it in for an alignment yesterday at Townfair. They didn't mention any parts needed and the wheel still pulls to the left a little. Was gonna complain tomorrow. Wonder if I have tospecifically ask them to check components or is that something done automatically.

Thanks.

I brought it in for an alignment yesterday at Townfair. They didn't mention any parts needed and the wheel still pulls to the left a little. Was gonna complain tomorrow. Wonder if I have to specifically ask them to check components or is that something done automatically.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I would take it back to this "Townfair" place and tell them the vehicle still pulls to the left and let them correct that issue. You should have some sort of warranty period for that wheel alignment. Check the receipt they gave you, it might be written on there. If this place knows what they are doing as far as wheel alignments are concerned, they should have told you if any alignment parts (ball joints, tie rods etc) were bad during their inspection of it. You should also ask them how bad the alignment was out on the vehicle and what adjustments they had to do to it to align it properly. Some places will give you a computer print out of the results and how bad each wheel was out of align. On these Ex's, all 4 wheels need to be aligned and make sure they align your "steering wheel" as well. The sterring wheel should be level and centered in your hands as you drive straight down a road if they aligned everything properly.

Thanks a lot. During my commute today it didn't really feel like a pull, but the wheel was not straight. It's to the left. Maybe they didnt align the wheel? But now I know there are some before and after numbers they shoild be able supply. Thanks for the ammo :)

but the wheel was not straight. It's to the left. Maybe they didnt align the wheel?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Right, they didn't align the steering wheel with the wheel alignment they did. Your steering wheel should be dead center aligned in your hands as you drive straight down the road. A few months ago, I had an alignment done on my Ex, when I took it home, I noticed my steering wheel wasn't lined up dead center as I drove straight down the road. It was tilted to the left a little. Just doesn't feel right in your hands driving it like that either. I took it back the next day to the same shop (Cole Muffler and Brake) and they had their alignment guy test drive it and he pulled it back on to the alignment machine and he straightened everyting out. Been great since. The manager even apologized and said that happens sometimes where the guy working on a vehicle, misses or forgets to align the steering wheel.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>But now I know there are some before and after numbers they shoild be able supply. Thanks for the ammo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

They should be able to tell you the + plus or - minus numbers as to how far out of align each wheel was. Your welcome btw.

Generally your tires will not wear more in the center unless they are or have been over inflated. Over/under inflation and worn suspension will ruin tires quick.

Rest in Peace?

That was an old thread. That issue had been corrected, but I think since then I've changed the intake manifold, the entire engine itself, had the transmission rebuilt last year, then almost a year exactly, it went again. basic been through the entire car at least once, Radiator, Catalytic converter, springs, and some things twice, wheel bearings all round.

This was just a daily driver to commute to work. No four wheeling or heavy lifting. Really want to cut my losses and junk it now, but sticker shock's gonna send to the emergency ward!!!!

That was an old thread. That issue had been corrected, but I think since then I've changed the intake manifold, the entire engine itself, had the transmission rebuilt last year, then almost a year exactly, it went again. basic been through the entire car at least once, Radiator, Catalytic converter, springs, and some things twice, wheel bearings all round.

This was just a daily driver to commute to work. No four wheeling or heavy lifting. Really want to cut my losses and junk it now, but sticker shock's gonna send to the emergency ward!!!!

Oops, I usually look at dates but I guess that fact slipped by me this time :eek:

I know what you mean by sticker shock, I bought a used '02 AWD and all was good, no rattles, no noises, no cheap Ford interior noises, even when tested down a bumpy dirt road at a good speed ;) . Only problem was steering wheel wasnt centered, but vehicle went straight with no hands. Ended up doing all four hubs, instead of a couple ball joints and bushings I just replaced all the control arms (about same price labor wise and within $300 parts wise), toe links, sway bar end links, front struts (dealer piece of crap burned out the center mount on one) and now I am getting a rattle from my exhaust and my rear shocks/struts I think are in need of replacement (may have broken spring)..... This is all withing 8 months... But I must say, Engine and Trans are working well (Knock on wood).

Hate.to be the bearer of bad news and definitely don't wish bad for ya, but it seems like that was my exact path. After fixing all those types of issues, then boom the engine went. I figured, hey, I've been thru the entire car, if I put in a rebuilt, I'm golden. Then boom, the tranny. Same thing. I really should have rebuilt the tranny when I did the engine. The engine is totally rebuilt, I might as well do the tranny. A year later...The tranny again. Rest in Peace

Well if the Engine and trans go on mine, I will buy a crate engine and c6, dump the fancy electronic stuff and go old school.

I hear you on that.

Back