When to change the transmission fluid in a 5R55E (5 speed automatic) on a 2000 Sport? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

When to change the transmission fluid in a 5R55E (5 speed automatic) on a 2000 Sport?

BigE

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
When to change the transmission fluid in a 5R55E (5 speed automatic) on a 2000 Sport?
Manual says change fluid at 30K in vehicles with the AX4S, AX4N (these are front wheel drive transmissions, I think), 4R70W (used in the Explorer V8s, I think), 4R100 (used in the F150s, I think), and 4F27E (another front wheel drive transmission). There is no mention of the 5R55E, but the manual does say vehicles with other transmissions should check the fluid level.

So does Ford recommend changing the fluid in the 5R55E at other than 30K miles and if so, when? There is a recommended transmission service (fluid and filter) at 150K that does not specify specific transmissions.

The online Ford maintenance chart lists service intervals for transmission 2 different places, one at 30K intervals (change fluid) and one at 150K miles (change fluid and filter).

I know it does not hurt to change it more often than required, but I would really like to know what Ford recommends.

I called Ford, they don’t have the answer, talked to 4 Ford dealers, they don’t have the answer!!!!!

Does anyone on this forum know what the real answer is?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I change mine every year, no matter what. I would go every 20-25K miles, add an external filter while your at it.

Joe

I would go around 50k or if the fluid is looking brown or smells burnt. Aldive did an excellent write up on flushing the fluid yourself. Although I haven't done it personally, I'd recomend doing that in the near future.

I flushed mine back in August after I did the lift. I will do it probably every 30K and filter at every 60K! I use the machine at work to do mine.

-Drew

I followed Aldives write up and it worked like a charm !!!!!!!

Back