The controversial question of when to change the fluid in the 5R55E automatic trans | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The controversial question of when to change the fluid in the 5R55E automatic trans

Has anyone used a Fumoto engine oil valve for their transmission pan? Seems to me that it should work with the addition of a nut on the inside of the pan. Otherwise the only other kit I could find is from Mr. Gasket, part No. 4470. Any comments on either item or similar items would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok there are a couple things that are missleading in tis thread,
A you cannot back flush a tranny, the pump will not run backwards
B flushes are a good thing AS LONG AS the PROPER fluid is used, in this case, it is Mercon V, also DO NOT LET ANY SHOP USE BULK OR GENERIC( THE STUFF THAT MEETS THE STANDARDS OF BOTH MERCON AND MERCON V) this is why peoples trannys fail
C the filter is a screen it doesnopt need to be changed every 12k thats a waste of money, 30k is fine , but your also only changeing 4-5 qts of fluid out of 12,
D from what i as a technician hae ben told the 5r55e trans( the ones with NO dipstick are serviced around 100k, thats what manufactures are shooting for, similar to the gold coolant and platinum plugs,
E he maintenance manual that comes with the Explorer says change transmission fluid at 30K intervals for 5 models of transmissions (AX4S(sable, taurus), AX4N(windstar), 4R70W9 (v8 explorer), expedition, 4R100( expedtion , nav,f150-450, 4F27E(focus). v6 explorers use the A4LD, 4R55, 5r55e,s,n, there for are not included, but most should bne servced at 30k, unless you do not have a dipstick.
F there is a recall to add an additive to the trans on the newer explorers, i think its 2002 and up, check with your dealer on this, or PM me your vin and i can check

all in all, flushes are worth the money when they are nessecary, if you have a dipstick pull it out if the fluid is black have it flushed. if you dont have it serviced when scheduled, also FLUSHING DOES NOT SOLVE TRANNY PROBLEMS, it usually makes them worse.

The V6 5R55E has a dipstick, the V8 five speed 5R55W does not. The Mercon V is a much better fluid. For normal driving, I can see going 50,000 miles until a complete fluid change, plus filter. Changing four or five quarts doesn't gain you another 30,000, 50,000, or 100, 000 miles. Leaving six or seven quarts of old fluid inside, is not a good thing.

Whenever you change trans fluid, change as much as you can get out. If there is a torque converter drain plug, drain that 1/2 gallon also. Let the fluid drain for a couple of hours with the filter off.

For the cost of transmission work, and the bath of fluid, use the best fluid available(aftermarket synthetic), add a valve body correction kit(TransGo), and an inline filter. Regards,

CDW6212R said:
add a valve body correction kit(TransGo)

What is a Valve Body Correction kit ????

shift kit

No, a correction kit is not a shift kit. "Shift kit" implies much firmer, performance shifts.

TransGo has for decades concentrated on correcting factory problems, symptoms, or quirks. TransGo was the first to use the term shift kit, they had the copyrights to it.

TransGo does make some performance shift kits, they call them HD kits. Those are more expensive, and they do provide performance characteristics.

The basic TransGo kits, are around $25-35, and they are correction kits. TransGo makes those correction kits for most all common transmissions, and they are suitable for all vehicles, and for all drivers.

The TransGo 5R55E kit is not a high performance shift kit, it is just a correction kit. Hopefully they will develop an HD kit some day for the five speeds. Regards,

CDW6212R said:
The basic TransGo kits, are around $25-35, and they are correction kits. TransGo makes those correction kits for most all common transmissions, and they are suitable for all vehicles, and for all drivers.

The TransGo 5R55E kit is not a high performance shift kit, it is just a correction kit. Hopefully they will develop an HD kit some day for the five speeds. Regards,
What does this kit do exactly ??

How difficult is it to install ??

wow thats new to me, that sounds great then

Katmandu said:
What does this kit do exactly ??
Fron TransGos website....

Description

PREVENTS forward clutch failure, 2-3 cutloose, hard throttle 2-3 slip, 2nd and 4th band failure, 3-2 coast down shift clunk and no movement. Comes with complete, easy to follow instructions. EXPLORER, RANGER. This kit does not contain a pan gasket or valve body gaskets.

Other parts required,

23141 Cork pan gasket.
23135AK Valve body gasket set.
23TM002 Tech Manual.

Cost: $28.92
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/FORD_4R44E_4R55E_5R55E_SHIFT_KIT_p/500-000023935.htm
Anyone here install one of these kits yet ??

They are no problem for anyone who has done any valve body work before. Some can be intimidating for a novice, an advisor would be a good plan to do your first. I have put them in most of the Ford's that I have owned. Regards,

For a trannie pan oil drain, you need only go to your neighborhood Kragen or Autozone, and in the oil department there is a card display of replacement drain plugs (to replace stripped ones for example). On that card display is one designed to be an add on. It costs $5. Don't bother asking the sales clerks, they have no clue. Search around and you'll find it.

Thank you for the information!!!

194,000, never changed no problems whatsoever, sure not going to start chainging it now, the build up inside is probably the only thing holding it together.

jbuns said:
194,000, never changed no problems whatsoever, sure not going to start chainging it now, the build up inside is probably the only thing holding it together.
...never too late to start changing it...

I just try to do it the old fashioned way....Change the tranny filter and about 4 qrts of fluid every 30 thousand or so miles...I believe you have to change the filter...I really don't trust all of these tranny shops, who invested bucks into a flush machine, that all you have to do is flush the tranny and not change the filer....Now some shops are charging about 40 dollars extra to change the filer when you get your tranny flushed. I don't have any evidence to back up what I am saying, I just believe it makes good sense to change the filter. By the way, I see why these rapid lube and trans shops want you to get the flush,.,it is a much easier job and the profit margine is larger...just my rant!

ncexpl said:
I just try to do it the old fashioned way....Change the tranny filter and about 4 qrts of fluid every 30 thousand or so miles...I believe you have to change the filter...I really don't trust all of these tranny shops, who invested bucks into a flush machine, that all you have to do is flush the tranny and not change the filer....Now some shops are charging about 40 dollars extra to change the filer when you get your tranny flushed. I don't have any evidence to back up what I am saying, I just believe it makes good sense to change the filter. By the way, I see why these rapid lube and trans shops want you to get the flush,.,it is a much easier job and the profit margine is larger...just my rant!
actually its easier to change the filter when you have a lift, the flush works better becasue you have 12 quarts of fresh fluid instead or 4, and being that the trans is sealed the filters(which are screens) dnt get very dirty unless there is a problem with the trans. the reason it costs more is mostly the parts, its take 16 quarts to flush the trans plus the detergents that help clean the trans

and probably A $20000 machine that they bought to do the flushing..

What's a reasonable price to pay a shop to do a complete flush and fill of a transmission ??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just did it on my 2002 at the local dealer...

it was just for the flush, $135.99

Back