where does the "auto antenna" wire go? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

where does the "auto antenna" wire go?

MrShorty

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spanish Fork, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
The radio (Profile am/fm/cd) in my BII has gone out. The last time it did this, the 0.5 A fuse in the "auto antenna" wire blew. This time, the fuse holder broke. When I went to replace it, the wire on the "truck" side of the fuse just pulled through. I don't know what it was hooked to, and I can't find a candidate. What am I looking for when it calls for an "auto antenna" wire? It isn't the main antenna cable, because I can see that coming in and plugging into the radio. And the truck doesn't have a powered, retractable antenna, so it isn't going to some motor. Any help?

Since you don't have a power antenna, the wire should be taped off, and not allowed to touch anything else. I guess it touched a ground before, and blew the fuse. This time, it might have shorted before the fuse, blowing the radio.....:(

it connects to either an auto antenna, or to the Remote plug on an amp.
with an auto antenna, when you turn the radio on it moves the antenna up. When it's hooked to an amp, it turns the amp on when the radio gets turned on.
basically an on/off wire.

So, mines not too far off from this topic.. but, I have a 97 limited 5.0 with the auto antenna. Radio has recently quick work working. So, I've gone and bypassed the factory amp. But, what I'm needing to know is, how would I go about an aftermarket radio? Like, how would I rig the auto antenna up to it?

Back