Where is the Low Side Connection on AC? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where is the Low Side Connection on AC?

jadus

Reaction score
City, State
Placerville, CA (near Rubicon)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer 4X4
Howdy,

I bought one of those cans of refrigerant to recharge my AC. I think I have a slow leak since it last about a year before the cooling goes away.

I have a 1998 Explorer with a 4.0 Engine.

I hooked up the gauge to what I THOUGHT was the proper connection. The PSI Blew the gauge. I got a stronger gauge, and the psi was just over 100 psi.

After some research, it looks like I hooked up to the High side right next to the accumulator. (Oriface?) Its funny cause the guys at the auto store said it would only connect to the low side connector. It fit perfectly.

My question is, where is the low side hookup? Its 100+ degrees up here this summer, and I need AIR!

Thanks,

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The lower pressure side port is near the collector. It has a black colored cap on the port. The other one obviously won't fit on the R-134a fitting.

Collector

The collector is the black can thing towards the firewall on the passenger side right?

Thats where I hooked it up and got the 100+ psi.

It sounds as if your system is overcharged which is not good, and can result from repeatedly adding cans of Freon. I'm sure some A/C gurus will jump in here with other advice.

Just Hot

Took it to some mechanics up the road here.

On his gauges, it was over 100 psi again for a few minutes. He said its normal for it to get that high, especially when there is no freon in there. He pulled the switch and crossed it with a wire, the pressure dropped down to about 25psi.

He added freon, and viola, 49 degrees. This is great since its been 100+ degrees here.

Thanks though.

Back