where to get steel tubing

unabonked

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98Sport, 94XLT, 96Sport
Where can i get steel tubing for rock slider/bumpers? i'm looking for non-stanless steel tubing. preferable a 2.5-3" internal diamiter and a 1/8th" wall. I am also looking for a sorce for square tubing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look around in the phone book for steel yards. I would wait though, because steel prices are very high right now.

I would not wait, the people I know in the steel business are saying that since the beginning of the year prices are up about 170% and by election time 200 % and not likely to come down due to world wide demand and the coke shortage in the US.

Unfortunatly, there arn't any steel yards in my area. I checked the phone book, superpages and even did a google search. I also checked online for steel tubing, but the closest i got was only 1" diamiter and 1/32 inch thick... way too small!

Anyone else have any ideas? Do you think I could sucessfully paint stanless steel?

There has got to be in Boston. Look under steel suppliers, or call the welders in your area. In the little town next to the base there's a steel yard and 10 in Boise. I order my steel from Boise because it's half the price.
Look around in the phone book for steel yards. I would wait though, because steel prices are very high right now.
2" .120" wall DOM tubing in 20' lengths was $45. The price is steel is killing me. I'm trying to make quotes for guys but my cost is about where they have been expecting to pay for stuff. Good thing I don't do this for a living.

http://www.capitolmetals.com/
these guys are out here in California and depending on the amount of steel you want to buy I'd assume shipping will be a bit much.
You are going to have a hard time with the stainless. If you are just going to paint it you should just use steel and pay the money for a powder coating for a durable finish.

http://www.ssfne.org/memdir.htm
Try one of these places. I have no idea how close any of these are to you; this was just my search on yahoo but I'm sure they would know somewhere local for you.

have you tried rhode island? i think theres some steel yards near providence

unabonked said:
Where can i get steel tubing for rock slider/bumpers? i'm looking for non-stanless steel tubing. preferable a 2.5-3" internal diamiter and a 1/8th" wall. I am also looking for a sorce for square tubing.
Wow, 3" tube with 1/8" wall is going to be weak. If these are going to be functional bumpers and sliders, you should stay below 2".

I see several places in your area listed in Broccoli's second link. Lynn, Saugus, Lowell, Framingham, East and South Boston. They may not sell retail, but they should know who does. :)

Metal fabrication shops should have what you need.

Good luck......

thanks guys i'll look into it!

I'm going to jump into this thread since I recently tried to find some steel for my skidplate in Boston. You'd be surprised how hard it was. Steel places either had HUGE minimum orders or were rather far away. I made lots of phonecalls and internet searches, turning up many dead ends. It may be easier to purchase tube rather than thick sheetmetal.

I ended up getting my plate from Ackles Steel in Waltham (781 893-6818). Talk to Andrew, he'll work with you.

try these guys

metal source
11 Forbes Rd., Woburn, MA 01801
Tel: 781-932-0482 Fax: 781-932-4265

i used to work in a machine shop that got stock from them, they seemed like good guys and the boss liked them. i would show up with another guy say "pick up for #########(company name)" grab the stock toss it in the back of the truck and we'd be on our way.

there somehow related to admiral metals

http://www.admiralmetals.com/metal_distributors.htm

Remember, when measuring tubing you use OD and wall thickness. Pipe is ID and SCH size.

Also ck metal recycling yards, you need good structual material, not neccesarily new,I buy mine used @ 4 cents per pound .

For those of you in the Midwest (close to St. Louis), you can contact Shapiro Supply (click here ). They will sell small quantities of tubing, bar stock, flat sheet, etc. I spoke with Ben in the Order department (nice guy). 2' of 2"x2"x.250" square tube cost $15 and a 1'x2'x.1875" (3/16" or 7 gauge) sheet was $15. Shipping (to Chicago) was $15 for 28 pounds. Steel was clean and rust free.

Dave.

Back