Which air intake kit? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which air intake kit?

My 1998 SOHC SNAPS!! off shifts at 5800+ when I put my foot into it. This is with the JET Power SHIFT unit turned up to it's maximum setting (STG3). I'll have to make some runs at the stock steeings to get a benchmark. I'll post it in the future. Or.... maybe my tachometer is inaccurate?

Ok, the K&N FIPK update...

OK, gents... I warned y'all that I'd be back... I got my FIPK kit friday afternoon and installed it in about an hour, also took an adult beverage break with it.. like i said before I ordered it through www.4filters.com and it was greatly cheaper (by almost a hundred bones) than ordering it directly through K&N company, go figure... anyway, all the parts were there and direct to the point directions. The toughest part(no kidding) was putting on the freekin rubber seal around the heat shield... note to those wanting to install the FIPK, the seal has metal in it and you WILL have to trim it to fit properly, don't be like me and use your wifes craft/paper cutting scissors on it, needless to say they won't cut warm butter now and she wasn't very happy about it... tin snips will work just fine, oops sorry hunny ;) ... The sound difference is AWESOME, performance yeah not so much... I'm thinking the FIPK in combination with headers, exhaust and a performance tuner, I should be crusin'... All that to ask this... I haven't done anything else other than the above mentioned FIPK... What is y'alls opinion of good decent headers and exhaust combo... I do live on a military installation so I can't go too over the hill with a loud exhaust but something "throaty", I just wanna hear that 4.6 growl a bit more than it does now, with the 2002 4.6L, I know I can't "chip it", any suggestions on a aggressive tuner? Thanks, ahead of time for any of you wise ones answers...

Back