Which shocks for ride and handling | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which shocks for ride and handling

Rodeo Joe

Elite Bostonian
Reaction score
City, State
Frankin, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
The shocks are pretty much done on my 97. I'm looking for something that will give a half decent ride plus improve the handling. I'm thinking about Bilsteins, Edelbrock or Monomax. I'm looking for opinions, good or bad on any of these. LMK.

Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have used Edelbrocks for a couple of years, they handle great and I thought I liked the rife until I recently replaced them with Rancho 9000X.

So Al, the Rancho is a nice riding shock? Thanks.

Joe

The Rancho 9000X rides better than an Edelbrock IAS on a TTB truck. Now you guys with the torsion bars, (such as your truck) there seems to be less difference between the two shocks. But on a 1st gen truck the difference is like night and day. Keep in mind the Ranchos are adjustable so you can set them to how you want it to ride.

That's good to know.
The thing about the Edelbrocks on my truck was that they did reduce body roll; however they rode very poorly, worse than OEM shocks, or a $20 Gabriel.

Back