• Register Today It's free!

Which shocks for me?

newbz

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Custom
I need new shocks, my truck is a daily driver, no lift, occasional offroading, i'm looking for a comfortable ride, any recommendations on shocks? I was thinking the RS5000's but there is so many please give me your experience with shocks and your advice thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get the Rs5000's, real good on and off road plus you get to say hey i have rancho suspension = Þ. Plus i am fixing to get a 2 inch susp lift and these shocks are the same for up to 2.5 inches of lift.

think again

If this is a daily driver with no off road mods other than the tires...I would take something a little less harsh. The RS5000's are set up for off road. If it was my truck, and I wanted to use Rancho's, I would use the STX's.

Hey newbz,

I have a 92 Eddie Bauer with the same tires as you, the BFG T/A KO's in the size of 31x10.50 with no lift. I just got them put on a week ago and had a set of new Edelbrock IAS Performer shocks put on a week before that. I can tell you that the combination of those shocks and the BFG's are perfect. My truck handles unbelievably around corners now, where before the truck would sway and the tires had trouble keeping a grip. And as a side note, my prior handling problem was not because my old tires and shocks were worn. In fact, the truck had brand new BFG Excentia A/S P235/75R15 M+S tires and new no-name gas shocks. The handling of the old tires/shocks were average, but the T/A KO's and Edelbrock's bring handling to a new level. Also, we just got our first major snow of the year, 12 inches, and the traction of the T/A KO's were excellent. I had total control in deep snow and slush on the roads. I've never had a tire that handles so good both in snow and on dry pavement.

Newbz,

I would have to agree with the above post that the 5000's are a tad on the stiff side for a mainly street rig. I had them on a Toy pickup, and while they were fine for offroading, they made day to day use of the truck uncomfortable. My girlfriend (now wife) all but refused to ride in my truck after getting the new shocks.

I'm trying to figure out what shocks to put on my '97 EB, which also will spend most of its life on the pavement.

Good luck.

John P.

The Rancho RS9000's are adjustable, so you can set them up any way you want, soft or firm, or in between. They are more expensive than 5000's, but I think they're worth it. Every once in a while Rancho will have them on sale, buy 3, get 1 free. They normally go for about $65/each.

Another thing I like about the 9000's is that they are a straight hydraulic shock, not gas charged. They tend to give a smoother ride. If you want a stiffer ride, go with a gas charged shock.

Gee you dont always have to go so expensive. Get some Gabriel Gas Ryders, they're like 20 dollars a peice and they work good. Made a huge improvement on my dads truck. Its a beater so he didnt wanna get something super expensive, so he tried those paired with some BFG Lontrails and it made a HUGE difference. He's bashed those shocks pretty hard and they still work perfect.

Back