Which tranny ????

superchef

Reaction score
City, State
Surrey BC, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 4x4 XLT
Hey all.

I have a 93 XLT 4x4 - no mods other than 31x10.5's on it.
Currently running an A4LD PO"S" . I purchased the vehicle in Feb '04 and have had the tranny rebuilt 2x and dying again.

My question is this - what other tranny can I use in this thing that will not give as many issues as the A4LD. Personally I would love to be able to convert to a standard tranny but the cash just isn't there to do it right now.(besides the cost of the tranny I would be looking at another grand to add the pedal and linkage etc and unsure if I would need a different transfer case and driveshaft). So just trying to find out what other options I can use besides the A4LD. Something that can just re and re - not have to change anything else other than add an aftermarket cooler and gauge.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are lotsa reasons the A4LD often dies early on rebuilds, not ALL the trannie's fault.... yet with what you are running you are probably driving a trannie killer if you are using the A4LD offroad. The 700R4 is probably your best bet. Doable.... ungradeable... pricey...at the moment I am learning all the nuances of the A4LD 4R and 5R series... next up this summer the 4R70W (won't work for you, too bad though for us V-6 guys because it can be built TOUGH!) 2006 for me? 700R4 and 5R100. Check out the threads (and stickies in the General Explorations forum) on the 700R4.

Explorer (2nd gen.) came with a few different auto trannys installed. Shouldn't it be easy to swap in one of those? like let's say one out of a 98 Sport with SOHC? Other then the electrical harness it should just bolt right up... no? anyone tried?

'91-'94 came with the 4.0L version of the A4LD.
'95-'96 came with the 4R55E (4-speed electronic control)....probably the weakest of the three designs.
'97+ came with the 5R55E (5-speed electronic control). Adds an over-driven first gear to get a new gear between the 'old' first and second gears, so no higher high and no lower low.

The problem with swaps is that the A4LD is controlled by engine vacuum and a govenor while the other two are fully electronic, which means to swap in the others you would have to swap in the computer etc...not an easy thing to do.

OK
Thanks for the replies so far.
Now let me get a few things straight in my head. From what I have been reading -

If I stay auto - the best thing would be to put a 700r4 into this 93? Is there anything special about doing this? Or would it just be a bolt on - no custom fab work or changes?

If I go manual - I could use a trans from a Ranger? Any particular years or just any that are running a 4.0 ? Will the pedal and linkage etc just bolt up or is there any custom fab work involved?

The 700 is a GM tranny. You will need an adaptor. A ranger trans will work as long as it's for a 4x4. You would want one from a 4.0 ranger.

Pedal, hydro line will all be an easy bolt up job. Switching trans styles is pretty easy. You will need a different steering column, shifter, gear selector delete cover, and some other little parts to make it a "factory looking" swap. Easy to do.

Back