• Register Today It's free!

Whining sound under acceleration

Skullcandy

Reaction score
City, State
Camden NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer PIU
i am getting a higher pitched whining under acceleration. I checked trans fluid it was good. I have replaced the ptu fluid about 20k ago as well. This noise just started. Anyone have any ideas what to check? I will post a video of the noise soo .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would guess it is air intake related... maybe in throttle body?

Is it only 1 point on the throttle? (Goes away with more throttle)

There is really no way for anyone to just guess with any degree of accuracy.

Could be almost anything. Pump. Gear. Driveline. Belt driven accessory. And, so on...

There is ALWAYS some degree of accuracy.;)

Of course, it varies proportionately with the amount of information given.... So tell us more, OP. Does the noise occur at certain speeds? Does the pitch change, and does it follow speed, rpm, throttle, etc? Is the radio on?

It starts right on engine start and it is dependent on engine speed as it changes pitch and speed as I rev the engine in the driveway. I am trying to load a video but can’t host on Photobucket anymore.

I hear a whine probably from belt system somewhere, and a high pitched ring/whistle... which is bugging you?

Yea it’s bugging me because it just started out of the blue. I haven’t dug into what’s involved with changing the belts yet on this. But if it’s a belt or tensioner or something along those line then that would be great.

It starts right on engine start and it is dependent on engine speed as it changes pitch and speed as I rev the engine in the driveway. I am trying to load a video but can’t host on Photobucket anymore.
Did Photobucket just change their policy again? I noticed yesterday that a number of pictures hosted there are now no longer available.

Peter

They require you to buy a membership now to upload any more pics or videos.

They require you to buy a membership now to upload any more pics or videos.
They did that once before and then they went back to the free one. Another good reason to pay the $20 for the Elite Explorer membership and save them on our servers.

Peter

Does it go with the speed of the car? It would likely be wheel/driveline related (wheel bearings, PTU, RDU, etc)
Does it go with the speed of the engine? It would like be internal/external engine related (belts, pulleys, or worse).
Does it happen above 50-55mph only? Its likely the seal at the bottom of the windshield.

Back