• Register Today It's free!

white smoke??? WTF???

nero13

Reaction score
City, State
Waterford Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
so while driving around town today in my lifted 92X i pulled into the dog wash to wash my dog and i noticed that it was puffin some white smoke from the exuast... i checked the oil, trans, and coolent and all levels where good... i turned it off washed the dog and started it up and it was fine, i ran a few more places and it started up again so i cranked the heat up thinking that it was getting hot and i stopped...

any advise???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmm, could be a coolant leak. White smoke is indicitive of it. Probably a blown head gasket. If it was blue, it would be oil, and black would be excess gas.

i kno about the white black blue thing and its weird cause it was a little low on coolent so i added some and it seemed fine, now ill let it sit and cool down and it will smoke kinda bad (like on a cold winter day first thing in the morning), only from the exaust, then you turn the heat on and it will stop, but at the same time you can have it in park and gas it and it wont smoke unless you give it more than 3/4 of the pedal... i dont get it, i would think a head gasket would procuce smoke all the time, and its not leaking coolent so make it get low and over heat, but i was reading a few different things that said too much oil or tranny fluid could make it smoke, i dont know if thats true but it is a little high in each...

i just dont know

pull the plugs and see if they are any odd color.

thats my plan of attack tomorrow, i also heard that if you pull a plug and put a air line into it and open the radiator cap then put air into the block if you see air bubbles in the radiator theres a leak in the heads, dont know but sounds worth a try...

ill update you and let you know how it goes

thanks...

that is a leak down test. kinda to d it right you need to loosen the rocker arms. so the valves dont open when the piston is pushed down.

that would be a cracked head or a blown head gasket, mine is doing that too. like they said, check your plugs and if you listen closely you'll notice a slight miss at idle or just as you start it, it will run rough.

pull your plugs first to look for discoloration. it really sounds like a cracked head gasket. I think the reason why you are not seeing anything with it in park is that it is still a small crack. Dig into it now before it gets worse.

Back