who has trailered (towed) a car with there Explorer? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

who has trailered (towed) a car with there Explorer?

my hitch is rated for 10,000/1000 with a 2" receiver pulled my 6000lbs camper just fine w/weight distribution.I have pulled many vehicles and loads with a tandem car trailer without any weight dist.just be careful how you load, center your weight over the front trailer axle and that should give you the ten to fifteen percent on the hitch your looking for, make sure that you strap your car down by either the tires or the axle not the frame let the towed cars suspension work otherwise the car could shift over bumps, or even worse you could break a chain or strap when it dose bounce. Ive seen it happen with a logging chain holding a full size truck by the frame, broke the chain and the truck came right off the side of the trailer.

I pulled a two horse trailer with two horses and saddles from Las Vegas, NV to Cincinnati, OH a couple years back and had no problems whatsoever.

However, the only issue that did develop was that when a semi blew by (I estimate him at about 85, me going 65), the vaccuum from him whipped the trailer across the center line by about two feet. It made for some pretty excitable moments until I get it back behind me by tapping on the trailer brakes alone. I attribute that to the tailwind behind me plus the ******* driving that truck.

Back