Who Knows About Air Fuel Ratio? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who Knows About Air Fuel Ratio?

george4

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer
I live in Ecuador and it is not illegal to remove cats here. This is good because mine are starting to get blocked.

If I remove the cats, is it a must to do a tune or will the computer auto adjust the air/fuel ratio?

If I do need some type of tuning device please tell me your recommendations. I am at sea level, drive in town only, do not care about HP but do care about dependability and ease of cranking and running smoothly.

The guys here can easily remove them and replace with a pipe.

Thanks so much for your help!!!!

George

I live in Ecuador and it is not illegal to remove cats here. This is good because mine are starting to get blocked.

If I remove the cats, is it a must to do a tune or will the computer auto adjust the air/fuel ratio?

If I do need some type of tuning device please tell me your recommendations. I am at sea level, drive in town only, do not care about HP but do care about dependability and ease of cranking and running smoothly.

The guys here can easily remove them and replace with a pipe.

Thanks so much for your help!!!!

George
@george4
First, what makes you think the cats are getting blocked? High fuel consumption? Bad idle odor? If your 3rd. generation is the same as sold here in U.S., it has two cats each with 2 O2 sensors, one in front one in back of each cat. Partial blockage of the cat is picked up by the downstream (rear) O2 sensor, and often throws a code related to it's "heater resistance", misleading, but Ford Techs are told of that.

Removing the cats altogether will confuse the computer, and cause codes to be thrown, Check Engine light will be always on. At worst, it may cause shutdown of the engine. Do you know of others with 3rd. gens who have removed their cats? How do they run? imp

Back