Why are explorers always BLOWN UP on Mythbusters?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why are explorers always BLOWN UP on Mythbusters??

drothgeb

Reaction score
City, State
Blacksburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4x4
Over the past few days of being bored and watching tv I've noticed that Mythbusters likes to use the Gen 1 Explorer in their explosions. I can't decide if this is extremely sad to see them go that way, or if it's awesome to see the carnage...

I'm torn..Poll time? Rather see the trusty ex being blown up or rather see a pos chevy/import?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Strip away all the body panels/doors and all SUVs start to look very similar - a bucket of metal (with iffy spot welds). So to me, it doesnt matter if its an Explorer or something else - moar destruction!!

Between cash for clunkers and how popular the 1st and 2nd gen Explorers are, it doesnt suprise me. Most junkyards in my area are loaded with EX.

Then again, Ford might be a sponser of discovery channel. All publicity is good publicity lol

Mike Rowe is the latest Spokesman for Ford.

Mike Rowe hosts Dirty Jobs on The Discovery Channel

The Discovery Channel also owns Mythbusters

...seven degrees of seperation....or was that Kevin Bacon....

Ryan

Every time I see a 1st gen Explorer get blown up/destroyed I get a little upset. I LOVE first gens, and when I see em get blown up I just have to remind myself that Ford built a ton of them.
On a side note...they should have to trade those rust free Explorers they are going to blow up anyway for one of ours in the midwest that is being consumed by rust.

I've been a faithful Mythbusters fan since they strapped the rockets to the top of the Chevy Impala on the very first episode. Over the years they've trashed a Corvette, Hondas, Acuras, Nissans, Pontiacs, and I seem to recall an Explorer or two.

They generally procure the vehicles they use on the show through donations from viewers or they will buy them from around the San Francisco bay area through Craigslist or traditional means like newspaper ads. Maybe viewers with Explorers like donating them. :)

Instead of them blowing the explorer up they can donate a couple to me. I dont mind haveing some parts explorer's in my yard. I would like to see a sebring or any thing that toyota makes especially the hybrids blow up, smash, or just destory.:roll:

cheap easy to get. probly also the first SUV / Truck anyone thinks of

They also used explorer doors loaded with phone books to test armoring a car with phone books.

how did the phone book armor work out?

Well how else are you gonna kill em?

Well how else are you gonna kill em?
start the car, pour in a bottle of this, and walk away ;)
200px-Sodium-metasilicate-repeating-unit-2D.png

The Explorer is almost like the modern day model T. They are everywhere. There are lots of movies from the 20s 30s and 40s that destroy old Fords for the sake of entertainment. Every Laural and Hardy movie destorys at least one model T. Its the same today. Its sad to me to see these trusty machines end this way, but for every one that leaves this world, the more valuable mine will be in the coming years. Who knows, these trucks might be the next "muscle cars" of the years to come.

What does the Sodium Silicate do to the vehicle?

or make thermite much more interesting than that

Ahhh I missed that part. The same effect can be achieved with Bleach in the gas tank.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's sad , but honestly there's A LOT of first gens everywhere.

Back