Why are Ford Explorers so easily "given up" on? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why are Ford Explorers so easily "given up" on?

Most people say that when I tell them I own 2 merkurs....

Ha, I think that's cool.. you don't see those to often.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Status...I hold my head high when I drive down the street in my '97 5.0 with shiny blue paint on it that I paid $300 for it, put a new battery in it and drove it home. Car payments ? LOL. One payment

I dont understand the first gen

The first gen exolorers only ran for 3 years because when ford builds vehicals the spend alot of money on planned obsolescence the first gen explorers they failed in that department. They are very amazing vehicals but when the second gen came out the trans and new independent front suspension was planned to fail so now they are all in the scrap yards. I program robots for one of the big three and they all do it. So in a sence the 1st gen explorer they accidentally made right by failing to make it fail. Im a die hard 1st gen guy and my 1992 sport was my first vehical 14 years ago and i will never let her go. I have two donors in my barn to keep her alive forever
How is the front suspension on a second gen a weakness? Mine have been extremely durable. As for the transmissions the first gens had the worst of them.

I do not know the answer as to why they are given up on so quickly, but I would sooner repair what I have then sell it for a new vehicle. I buddy of mine had a 2001 Ranger 4x4 & the trans started giving him trouble but instead of having it fixed he traded it in on a new vehicle. It would have been MUCH cheaper to repair the trans then buy a new vehicle. I like having older vehicles that are paid off. Our driveway looks like a used car lot, 2000 Ranger 4x4, 1999 Explorer Sport 4x4, 2008 Escape 4x4, & 1969 Mustang.

55272-my-00-ranger-4x4-robins-99-explorer-sport-4x4.jpg

Last edited:

My Explorer has been the 2nd best vehicle I've owned, the 1st. being a Jeep Cherokee that rack up 490K trouble free miles. The Ex is at an estimated 350K trouble free miles. For around 3-5 years the odometer didn't work. It's my daily driver. I replaced the whole dash with a junk yarder and when it was taken out it showed 300K. I'm thinking this truck still has many oem parts, the trans has never been opened up, still has the original head gaskets, the rear end has never been opened up and as far as I can tell it has the factory water pump and that's based on if it was replaced, who took the time to paint it and the bolts back to the factory color? I bought it in 2001 from a friend who bought it new and got all the paperwork and repair receipts.

Around here you see the new me too car the Camaro. dime a dozen. who cares. You do see a lot of just about all generations of Exs. I started with a 95 XLT one of the best vehicles I ever had. When anywhere I pointed it. Since it got killed by my middle son. I have had 3 other 2nd gens 2 3rd gens and a 5th gen. The 5th gen wasn't an Explorer it was more like a mini van. Only had it for 8mo before trading it off. My 5th gen was a trade for my 13 Focus ST and my 98 Ex. one of the stupidest move I ever made. but was looking to down size. We had 5 vehicles at the time. so traded two for one. That lasted until a week ago, when I got another 2nd Gen 99 XL 4x4 5 speed. Paid $990 for it, from a dealer on their black Friday sale. Two months ago they wanted $2490.
At the you pull it in Cheyenne you see and average of maybe 5-7 EXs. Some in perfect shape others smashed in someway. Some even with a price in the window from a car lot.
Don't get me started on the cash for clunkers BS. Didn't do squat but take good cars off the road.

Tim

LOL.....2002 ltd's still get sold for $20 k down here....one of the 2 i have is "agreed value" with the insurance @ $15 k

Are you talking in New Zealand dollars? Even so 13,000 for a 2002 is insane.

Status...I hold my head high when I drive down the street in my '97 5.0 with shiny blue paint on it that I paid $300 for it, put a new battery in it and drove it home. Car payments ? LOL. One payment
Nice, i got my 98 5.0 Eddie Bauer for 500$ and drove it home 60 miles, she was missing a bit, just needed plugs and wires, runs great now

I think we could arrange to send some of you boys down in New Zealand and Australia some fine American Explorers. The only problem is, will the let you drive Left hand drive vehicles there ? and isn't the import tax 90% ?

Back