Why are Ford Explorers so easily "given up" on? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why are Ford Explorers so easily "given up" on?

I like what I have. Scrapping it for some new piece of crap that won't last half as long is a tough sell for me.

I think this says it all right here and most everyone would probably agree 100%.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

But then again, most of us here share a mindset. :p I am extremely happy to have found this place, though. You guys help me keep it on the road, and so far have probably saved me a grand as far as troubleshooting and finding parts.

Where in Iowa are you?

Parts seem to be very expensive for being for a popular domestic non specialty 13yr old vehicle. (in my case)

My local junkyard has without exaggeration, about 90 Explorers ranging from 1st-3rd gen. About 30 of those are 1st Generation, the rest are 2nd and 3rd gen. One of the ones I've been getting some of my parts off of, looks like it just got driven off the Ford lot back in 1997, its like BRAND NEW.

There are a few there that actually run and are in great shape, one of them literally had me saying oh my god at how clean it was, but I was happy when the owner of the yard said he plans to sell it for $950.00 USD, so at least it will get a second chance on life.

I'm in the process of turning my 1997 Mercury Mountaineer into a limited, I've done the Overhead Console, Auto Dimming Mirror, and Keyless Entry mods so far, going to do the full length center console with working rear AC next. ( As seen in the link of my signature )

As with junkyards, Craigslist is stock full of 2nd gen Ex's. I've found multiple 98-01's for $500 and they aren't rust buckets either. Great news for those of us who want to keep ours going.

My 04 EB the engine went south 2 week ago. At 120K I pulled the engine, did full timing kit, all new bolts, head gaskets, head bolts, harmonic balancer and new water pump. When I pulled the engine the rear cassette was shattered and the balance shaft tensioner was broke in half, not worn thru, same for the other plastic parts. The day I drove it back home the chain rattle was back. A week before the engine went south, the belt tensioner was going wild at idle. I got 2,500 miles for my $ 1,000 repair job. This was a week before I had to make a trip to New York and this weekend I will be going to Texas. It broke my heart to call a salvage yard to come get the truck from a parking lot I was able to coast to. This truck did not have a scratch on it, only 122K miles.

But you didn't give up easy. I did a head gasket and front end stuff at the first of the year to the tune of almost 2 grand. I had a shop do it. Dead of winter on a job I'd never attempted before in a parking lot? Nope! I know when to call the mechanic. :p

Anyway, no major issues right now. I got the truck for free. With all I've done (and the head gasket), I'm about 3 grand in.

The numbers of Explorers in junk yards is increasing not because of some defect or other design issue, but because millions of these SUVs were built, and they are reaching the end of their useful lives, which would be 20+ years for the oldest ones.

It was the same for the VW Beetle. There was a time in the US when you couldn't stand outside, anywhere, and not see at least one "Bug". Now, its rare, and its even rare to see one in the junk yard, because there isn't enough demand for Beetle parts to justify keeping them. So off to the crusher they go.

To most, old Ex's are just junk, a tool no longer needed. But I also remember at one time so were Shelby Mustangs. No, I'm not comparing Shelby's to Ex's, just saying.....Now I'm one of those weird guys who likes walking thru the bone yard just looking at all the vehicles there. I seen beat up, rode hard and put to bed wet Ex's and Ex's that look like they were just pulled out of a time capsule and driven to the junk yard ( :dunno: Why....Why?). The great parts I find that allow me to upgrade my truck are like a goldmine. I'm also one of those weird guys who if I ever win the lottery, my Ex will be treated to a frame off restoration. If it's not totaled in a wreck or something, she just may end up in my will. So put me down as owning a keeper.

To most, old Ex's are just junk, a tool no longer needed. But I also remember at one time so were Shelby Mustangs. No, I'm not comparing Shelby's to Ex's, just saying.....Now I'm one of those weird guys who likes walking thru the bone yard just looking at all the vehicles there. I seen beat up, rode hard and put to bed wet Ex's and Ex's that look like they were just pulled out of a time capsule and driven to the junk yard ( :dunno: Why....Why?). The great parts I find that allow me to upgrade my truck are like a goldmine. So put me down as owning a keeper.

You're not the only weird one, I'm just glad I'm not alone.

I'm partial to the first Gen personally, but I do enjoy the 98-01 Explorers as well.

I've had 3 first generation rigs (91,92,93) and a 2000 EB, wife willing I will add another square body to my herd by the end of the year.

Lucky for us die hard X owners on this forum. The first gen X sold over 300K every year so that is over 1200000 first gens. Enough to keep the junk yards stocked with them for many more years. I don't know if the 1st gen will ever become as sought after like first gen broncos. But I have no plans to ever get rid of my 1st gen. Maybe another 10-15 years they'll start to be rarer to find..

I dont understand the first gen

The first gen exolorers only ran for 3 years because when ford builds vehicals the spend alot of money on planned obsolescence the first gen explorers they failed in that department. They are very amazing vehicals but when the second gen came out the trans and new independent front suspension was planned to fail so now they are all in the scrap yards. I program robots for one of the big three and they all do it. So in a sence the 1st gen explorer they accidentally made right by failing to make it fail. Im a die hard 1st gen guy and my 1992 sport was my first vehical 14 years ago and i will never let her go. I have two donors in my barn to keep her alive forever

I made the decision a long time ago to keep my 1992 XLT, even when the repair costs at times exceed the market value. The true "value" is what she's worth to me vs. a new (so called) SUV.

I do most of my own repairs and maintenance. For stuff that's beyond my ability or equipment, I have a good mechanic and trans shop in the area. Last year the clutch slave cylinder failed. It was a $1200 job to replace the slave cylinder, clutch and a disintegrated plastic shifter bushing, but now it shifts like new.

It's in the shop now for a hot no-start/stalling problem (embarrassingly, for the first time in it's 23 year, 245,000 mile life, I had to have it towed. Next day, Mechanic found nothing, not even codes, but in driving it he found a disintegrated radius arm bushing and the radius arm bracket was rusted out (I fight an endless battle against rust because NJ is a road salt state). When I get it back, I'll check the wiring, and replace the crank position sensor, 'cuz I think that is the cause of the problem.

So, like you guys, I'm attached to my Ex and more persistent than the average consumer. Even though she's semi-retired, she's unbeatable in the snow and great for hauling stuff. We've been through a lot together, good and bad, like in the Neil Young song...

Confirmation: My mechanic says that the 1st gens last longer than the newer Explorers. I plan to keep mine until she shoots a piston through the hood.

Bob

Im a BMW tech for a BMW Dealer. You should see the problems these things have. I have 2 Prior ford techs here because they wernt making any money at ford. That should say somthing. i say EVERYDAY to somebody, "Go tell em to buy a Ford if they dont want any problems or buy a saturn if they cant afford it." The MOST you have to spend on a ford is at most a motor or transmission. There is so much CRAP on these BMWs its REDIC!!! Sickening really......

Older thread, but it shows the very purpose of this forum. This community is dedicated to a common love and drive (literally!). We are supporting each other with information, experience, and materials in order to repair, rebuild, enjoy and preserve one of the best vehicles to hit the automotive world.

I don't know for sure, but I feel like the people here are more passionate about their vehicles than on other forums. I don't know why that is. I know I have been looked at with blank stares when someone finds out I collect Explorers and not something "cool" like a Jeep, Mustang, Civic, Camaro, Vette, any full-size pickup, or other socially acceptable collector vehicle. The next thing I hear from them is "why?".

I personally love the first gens. I like their size, relative simplicity, styling, strength and capability, while returning between 17 and 23 mpg. I remember looking at them as demos in the summer of 90 with my dad. We bought an Areostar, but I never lost the desire to own a square body Explorer. When I turned 17, I bought my first, a 92 XL 2-door that I still have today. It was 10 years old at the time, its hard to imagine that was 14 years ago now, but my dad still has his 68 Mustang he bought in 74! I guess I get it honest..

No matter which type you have, I'm just really glad there is a place like this where we can show our dedication to these machines, and not only the Explorer. The whole Ranger, B2, Expo, and Areostar line is built much of the same mold.

These vehicles are a lot like the modern version of the early 60s Falcon, Fairlane, Mustang, Ranchero and very early Econoline vehicles in that Ford built an extremely rugged, compact, economical, and very very popular series of vehicles with mostly the same parts and design layout. The Windsor engine (5.0) came from those vehicles by the way, with the A4LD being merely a C3 with overdrive!!

The A4LD sent a lot of ford cars to the junk yard. I'm just like 92exp4x4, my driveway is the land of forgotten fords.

The A4LD sent a lot of ford cars to the junk yard. I'm just like 92exp4x4, my driveway is the land of forgotten fords.

Good to see there are more like me out there! I'm sorry by the way!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back