• Register Today It's free!

Why are my front brakes squeaking

mrd

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Bragg, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Limited Edition
Put brake grease on the slide rails, back of pads, side of pads where it rides on slide rails, on the edge of piston where it contacts pad.. but it squeaks!

When I press the brakes it doesn't squeak, even if I just barely press them. But when they're not pressed and I'm just rolling along they will squeak squeak squeak, stops momentarily when I go over small bumps.. it seems as though the pads are loose or something? I torqued the bolts above the slide pins to specification, 22 ft lbs.

The rotors were cut 2-3 weeks ago, the pads were replaced 7 weeks ago.. the surface of the pads looked shiny, and the rotors, although smooth to the touch, had discolored lines running around them.. weren't there when they were cut.

Double piston type, and there are no clips or anything on either pad to hold them in place (strangely enough) so I wonder if I'm missing something.

Brakes are pretty simple and common so I know someone has some kind of advice.. C'mon, give it to me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

having the same problem here but just on the front left wheel. iv taken the entire thing apart and still cant figure out whats wrong

Recently, I went through this same thing. Bought some nice pads up for up front, put them on and all was good. About a week later the front pass. side was squealing. Checked the pads, all was good. Sprayed the hell out of them with brake cleaner. Still squealed. So I gave up and took it up to a brake shop so a buddy could look at it. He knew what it was right away: On the outside pad, it didn't have a shim behind it between the pad and the caliper like it was supposed to come with. So I had to buy another set. Just goes to show, make sure you check the parts before you walk out.

Yep was just about to say that, I have seen that happen before. You probably didnt get a shim to put behind it. Wont matter how much anti-squeak you spray on it. Also another thing people forget about is when you do a brake job, dont just replace the pads, always get the rotors turned or replaced otherwise you will have problems. Just a tip.

Solved it. There were 2 issues.

First, the pads I purchased did not come with shims (cheapest at the auto store). I had peeled off the old shims and stuck them onto those pads when I installed them, but they were a bit bent and rusted.

Second, the front set comes with 2 pair of pads, and each pair has one pad with a small L-shaped anti-rattle clip on one end. I had installed them with the clip on the bottom.

Fixed by purchasing pads with shims, nice new ones, and installing with the clip on the TOP. I had thought about the clip for a moment, and the pads are located on the rear side of the wheel. In drive, applying the brake, the rear side of the wheel will be rotating upward, so I assume the pad will want to go up as well. Now the clip should help keep it stable in these conditions. I think that's how it's meant to be installed.. didn't find any documentation specifying. Anyway. It's silent and brakes very nicely now. (Used plenty of brake grease also, on ALL slide rails including the ones on the top inside of caliper, which I had forgotten last time)

Yeah kinda thought thats what it was. Glad you got it working and they are silent, and remember brake grease is your friend. ;)

Back