Why I am having trouble buying a new Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why I am having trouble buying a new Explorer

jdrnd

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer
I would like an Explorer with a truck chassis, a 21 to 25 gal gas tank, a full size spare, and most of the gadgets and toys in the current platinum trim.

But in particular the small gas tank and lack of full size spare is driving me to the Grand Cherokee.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're joking, right? most new vehicles don't even come with a spare tire of any size now.
and you're complaining of a 20 gallon gas tank?
What do you mean by "Truck chasis" all Explorers (Gen5) have the same chasis. there isn't any "choice"

I would like an Explorer with a truck chassis, a 21 to 25 gal gas tank, a full size spare, and most of the gadgets and toys in the current platinum trim.

But in particular the small gas tank and lack of full size spare is driving me to the Grand Cherokee.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
You have the last model year Explorer that has the 'truck chassis'. Newer ones are all uni-body.
The problem isn't finding a new Explorer. Apparently they are all over the place. The problem is that you're looking for something new that no longer exists. The market has changed.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
You have the last model year Explorer that has the 'truck chassis'. Newer ones are all uni-body.
The problem isn't finding a new Explorer. Apparently they are all over the place. The problem is that you're looking for something new that no longer exists. The market has changed.

Peter
I am posting this to get the attention of "FORD". I can't be the only person who is dissappointed with the effective range of the Explorer do to the 18 gal tank, and the absence of a full time spare.

My 2.3 ecoboost gets me ~400 miles per tank on the highway. Not sure what kind of range you want but that's pretty good for an SUV.

I am posting this to get the attention of "FORD". I can't be the only person who is dissappointed with the effective range of the Explorer do to the 18 gal tank, and the absence of a full time spare.
Waste of time. Ford doesn't read these Forums. Everything these days is about weight (as my doctor keeps telling me) and achieving maximum mpg. Adding a larger tank and full sized spare would be negative influence factors.
There is a 'Submit Your Ideas' to Ford thread in the "List of Useful Threads" at the beginning of this 'Discussion' sub forum if you really want to have Ford see your concerns.

Peter

Waste of time. Ford doesn't read these Forums. Everything these days is about weight (as my doctor keeps telling me) and achieving maximum mpg. Adding a larger tank and full sized spare would be negative influence factors.
There is a 'Submit Your Ideas' to Ford thread in the "List of Useful Threads" at the beginning of this 'Discussion' sub forum if you really want to have Ford see your concerns.

Peter
Thanks

Ford is listening which is why they are selling 250000 of these a year. Ford can't even keep up with demand at CAP..

You are the minority and the minority is not who is buying these any longer.

First off everyone is entitled to their opinion and this is in no way meant to argue with you.

Having said that I kind of feel like Jeep pushed us towards the Explorer, haha. We had a 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited that we bought in 2011 with only 63,000 miles. We loved it. But it had 85,000 on it and we felt like we wanted the ability to take more than 4 people places (with two boys in car seats it really only seated four.) Jeep has been 'rumored' to add a third row seat for a few years now, but yet they don't. Since having a third row was on our 'must have' list we moved on from Jeep and to the Explorer.

Loved my Jeep. Might love the Explorer even more.

Sounds like what you want is the Expedition and not the Explorer.

Sounds like what you want is the Expedition and not the Explorer.
Nope.
I want a V6 explorer with a 400+ range. ...and If I get a flat, I want to change tires an be on my way for the rest of my vacation

why does it have to be a V6? the 2.3 Turbo has plenty of power.

Nope.
I want a V6 explorer with a 400+ range. ...and If I get a flat, I want to change tires an be on my way for the rest of my vacation

My 2016 has just over a 400 mile range with the 3.5 non turbo according to the lie-O-meter in the vehicle. But when you load the vehicle up it will be quite a bit less.

If you want a full size spare noting is stopping you from purchasing one and then figuring out a way to mount it outside of the vehicle. Heck it might even fit inside the stock spare tire well. I might have to look at that.

It doesn't fit (full size spare) in the well. I get over 400 mile range with my current 2010 V6 Explorer. I have gone as far as 420 miles on one trip before filling up... I was sweating it out looking for a station. Like the Explorer for the cargo room, don't need to fill it with a spare. Like the Cherokee for the larger gas tank and full size spare. I bet there are other people who agree with me.

Don't know what I'm going to do

Done. It's called an Expedition. Frankly, we wouldn't have bought the Explorer unless it was more car-like, FWD centric, and not on a chassis.

as you are likely aware - GC is unibody as well - it never has been BoF. The last of those was the Cherokee or the Gen 2 Durango.
Dealer will gladly sell you a spare kit (if it fits) - as for it coming with one - the company gets the weight credit by not putting one in - its a wash cost wise between the inflator kit and the jack/ wheel wrench.
Jeeps get them mostly because of the "Jeepness" and it would be a pain to get a flat off road, something and Explorer won't really do......believe me they looked at it for 17MY.

...........Jeeps get them mostly because of the "Jeepness" and it would be a pain to get a flat off road, something and Explorer won't really do......believe me they looked at it for 17MY.
Have you seen some of the off road videos in that thread? While not a 'rock crawler' it does fairly well given its limitations.

Peter

Have you seen some of the off road videos in that thread? While not a 'rock crawler' it does fairly well given its limitations.

Peter
I don't want an expedition.
I think Explorer's are great (I'm driving my 3rd one since 1991), but I am upset with Fords decision to decrease the size of the gas tank and not make room for a full size spare. I am not dissing the Explorer. I am aware of the GC's issues.
I am sure that there are other people like me that feel the same way The purpose of this thread was to make Ford aware.

... but as somebody said, Ford doesn't read these threads, so this thread may be for naught.

The good thing about the new EX not meeting your needs, is that you can buy whichever vehicle that does.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The good thing about the new EX not meeting your needs, is that you can buy whichever vehicle that does.
kinda sort of.... but I like the 82 cubic miles of cargo space, the Durango looks cheap, the Lexus is too expensive, I am not a fan of Chevy, and the GC is too small.

I guess I could try to wait 2 years to see if Ford makes changes in the 2018 model?

Back