Why no lift for 3rd generations?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why no lift for 3rd generations??

PEP said:
They have one on their website:

56545.jpg

that is bad I want one on my 2002 now..

I do not understand why people say the 2002 and up can not off road, That is a bunch of Bull spit.
they can do many things plus give you a very amazing ride,.
I would rather give up a stupid solid bumpy ride axle rather than give up the independant rear suspension..
best thing i ever bought was to buy the 2002..
Like driving in luxury.as far as the ride....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

davidmmm69 said:
I do not understand why people say the 2002 and up can not off road, That is a bunch of Bull spit.
they can do many things plus give you a very amazing ride,.
I would rather give up a stupid solid bumpy ride axle rather than give up the independant rear suspension..
best thing i ever bought was to buy the 2002..
Like driving in luxury.as far as the ride....

I agree that the new ones ride better on road, but show me an Independent suspension vehicle that can do this and I will agree that they are truly offroad worthy ;)

DSCF2391.jpg

or this
SANY0006.jpg

I am sure if as much work that was put into those were put into an independant suspension I am sure it is possible,
also that orange one I would like to see driven a 150 miles a day lol..and stay comfortable...

I believe that many of these SAS'ed rigs are daily drivers. And I have read in several people's registries that they actually ride smmother once the bugs are worked out.

To get a 3rd gen to perform as well it would take twice as much work, as you have two complete axle swaps to do rather than just one :p

I am sure that a 3rd gen is very capable for mild and possibly moderate offroading. It cannot do anything overly serious though as the wheel travel is extremely limited. Another factor is it's width (at least on our narrow washington trails.)

2nd Gens do a little better as they retain the solid rear axle. The rear at least can take on an obstacle, however due the limited travel in the IFS they become extremely unstable. I can't count the number of times I have found my front tire a couple feet up in the air. And I don't do hardcore trails.

1st gens are much more capable as the TTB front end has a lot more travel than the IFS as well as retaining a solid rear. Not to mention that the TTB can be heavily modified for more capability.

In the end none can compare offroad to a rig with a solid front and rear.

As to the original point of this thread, the biggest limiting factor with the 3rd gen is the rear axle shafts running through the frame. Not to mention the weak link the CV's create. There will likely never be a long travel suspension kit developed for it. Heck there is only one available for the 2nd gens and they have been around for a decade with less engineering obstacles to overcome.

davidmmm69 said:
Who said anything about them not being able to go off road? They can go offroad, just as well as most other modern stock SUVs made these days.

I don't think stock height/ability was the purpose of this thread...............

The goodguy's X does look good, and I agree, it just looks like a body lift. MOST people agree that a body lift is very capable of being placed on a 3rd Gen, with some fabrication of some bumper brackets (and minor "stuff" brackets as they are needed), body lifts shouldn't be that big of a deal to install.

It will be interesting to see where Rancho goes with their ideas. Claiming to be able to create a kit for a "axle shaft through frame" SUV so they can ride on 35s seems a little optomistic, but it will be interesting to watch.

One day, possibility a member of EF, will pick up a 3rd Gen for cheap somewhere..............and stick D60s under the front and rear. THAT will be a cool rig!!! :thumbsup:

You know I read a pretty interesting article in the May issue of Peterson's about how IFS can actually be truly the best. Just these auto makers aren't putting in quality, tough, and articulating friendly parts. For instance it described the Hummer (H1) suspension and how it is superior to any straight axle. Even then I think there's just some situations where a straight axle front and rear will always be best.

birdman said:
For instance it described the Hummer (H1) suspension and how it is superior to any straight axle.
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A lot of people (including myself) agree that I.S. is the future of most aspects of off roading (Humvee NOT being a great example), but the technology hasn't caught up yet.

then write a letter to 4wheel petersons, just what I read.

Back