Will 05 Explorer HU Fit My 03 Explorer Eddie Bauer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will 05 Explorer HU Fit My 03 Explorer Eddie Bauer

Kianfar

Reaction score
Hello,

Recently bought a 03 Explorer Eddie Bauer from a dealership. Realized, the head unit inside the car was a 2002 base model. Not sure why!! I'm thinking the dealership or previous owner may have sold the Eddie Bauer 6CD and the dealer put in a regular one. :( The back of the head unit looks a little bit different. There is a little black box in the corner where all the connections go. The newer ones look a bit different.

Anyways, I found a 05 Ford Explorer HU and wanted to see if it would fit my 03 Explorer Eddie Bauer. My main concerns are the connections. Below are pictures of my connection pins and a picture of the back of the new unit.

1-2.jpg

2-2.jpg

Here is what the back of my unit looks like:

Plugs.jpg

New Head Unit I'd like to Buy:

3-2.jpg

4-2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if this helps, the unit's model number is: 4S4T-18C815-BG. Better picture of back connections:

Fo219_4__92902_zoom.jpg

This is what I found so far, looks like the pins in the back have changed. My car has the 3 piece pins, one is for Power, one for Aux and one for Subwofer. The other unit also takes in 3 pieces, but in different sizes. Now is there a conversion that would take my old pins, and be in the new format pins. As it stands, I don't think my pins from a 03 would go inside the pins of this one.

oldfordmounting.jpg

that radio that you have shown ans the one you want to buy is for an 06+ explorer (it may be an 04+ in some other fords). so NO it wont fit in. Different harness, different mounting.

Man I'm having a very hard time finding a clean 2003-2004 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Radio. Does anyone know which model came inside my car so I can find the actual factory replacement. Ebay and craigslist have been of no hope. People simply want 100 dollars for 12 year old radios, just ridiculous.

any 01 to 05 explorder (4 door only, not sport track), or mustang.

i type in ford explorer radio in ebay and the 3 of the first 5 are for your truck

any 01 to 05 explorder (4 door only, not sport track), or mustang.

i type in ford explorer radio in ebay and the 3 of the first 5 are for your truck

I know, I just don't want to buy a 2001 radio for a 2003 explorer. I also like to possibly get one that has all the 3 sockets, the Amplifier, steering control and power. Most i'm finding don't have the amp, or steering control.

I just ended up buying a Pioneer "1L2F-18C815-LA" with the back seeming to have the same sockets as the car. Hopefully it matches, any thoughts?

silver3.jpg

Back