• Register Today It's free!

Will 6 1/2" fit ???

plumcrazylx

Reaction score
City, State
GF, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 E/B
I want to install a set of Alpine components in the front doors of my 98 X. The only adapter plate I could find was for the 5 1/4" speaker. Anybody have any idea if a 6 1/2" would fit without any modifications. Some pics of some installed would be great if anybody has done it.

Thanks
Ryan

They make adapter plates to mount 6.5" speakers in a 6x8" location, but I don't think they'll work for components unless you're mounting the tweeter somewhere else.

5.25" plates have enough room for a 5.25" mid and tweeter, 6.5's are big enough they need to be mounted in the middle of the plate and don't leave enough space for a tweeter.

You could always go with components in the front, mounting the tweeter in the door panel sills opposite the door mirrors, that's usually the best location for tweeters, anyway. Get 6.5" coaxials in back or just go with 5x7's/6x8's.

I checked with Crutchfield, and they do not have any for a 6 1/2". Only for the 5 1/4". If you know who makes the one I need for the bigger one please let me know. If anybody has any pics of the 6 1/2" with the door panel off that would be great.

Thanks

Back