6 1/2 component idea for under $ 100 ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

6 1/2 component idea for under $ 100 ?

TheRookie

Traveling SAS guru
Reaction score
City, State
West Chester PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
I have a set of audiobahn 6x8's in the front doors of my x and a set of JL's in the rear doors. The front Bahns sound like crap. The JL's are great. Right now I have a large amount of the power directed to the rear speakers because of this. Obviously this doesnt sound great and imaging nothing short of sucks. So I am going to get a set of adaptor plates and run a set of components in the front and a 10 inch sub in the back. What components do you recomend? Perhaps bless me with an ebay link or something?

Edit: should probably tell you guys what I have huh.
I will be powering them with my HU Its an excelon 659 perhaps. something in that area. claims 50 watts x 4 i believe though i know thats peak and in a dream world. I am not after crazy loud sound or anything. No thumping booming bass. Just clean clear full range sound. I despise distortion.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the low power, and not wanting any bass out of them, I'd look into 5 1/4 separates then. Stuff that comes to mind are: Infinity reference, MA Audio components, I think kenwood has some newer nice components out, plenty around. Look for high efficiency, and if you want very sharp crisp highs, a metallic tweet, and for softer easier highs look into a soft dome, silk or something.

Go quality whatever you choose. I don't know what stores you have down there but I saw a very nice set of 6x8 speakers(what '91 calls for), at future shop for $99. I think they were pioneer.

why dont you take the back ones out since they sound better and put them up front since most of the sound is up front and the rear is only for fill , that could make a big difference with out costing you a thing then just fade them to the middle like normal.

I dont want crap sound anywhere in the truck. front or rear. A buddy of min eis the manager of a major car audio place near me and is going to help me out. Getting me a killer deal on a set of JL components.

that works then. i was gonna recommend trying clarion.

Back