Will a white faced gauge cluster off a 01 Explorer sport work with a 99 Explorer XLT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will a white faced gauge cluster off a 01 Explorer sport work with a 99 Explorer XLT?

Dezal

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT
I just recently purchased a White face gauge off a '01 Explorer Sport. I noticed there is a cable attached to it. What I want to know is will this work with my '99 Explorer XLT with 4wd? If so how hard will this swap be? any info will be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It will swap right in. Lots of threads on the forums on doing this mod. Search the archives.

I've got the white faced overlays from an '01 on my '99 EB. I didnt' swap out the whole cluster because I didn't want to deal with mileage discrepancy, but the two clusters were identical.

It will swap right in. Lots of threads on the forums on doing this mod. Search the archives.

I've got the white faced overlays from an '01 on my '99 EB. I didnt' swap out the whole cluster because I didn't want to deal with mileage discrepancy, but the two clusters were identical.

thanx, I will check it out the forums later. This swap shouldnt be too difficult right? maybe seeing the cable is what making me alittle nervous.

You MIGHT have to have the PATS reprogrammed. I don't know about explorers, but I know of plenty of other Ford vehicles with PATS require the cluster AND key to match the ECU.

You MIGHT have to have the PATS reprogrammed. I don't know about explorers, but I know of plenty of other Ford vehicles with PATS require the cluster AND key to match the ECU.

What does PATS stand for? and how do I go about getting it reprogrammed if I have to. Do you know how I can tell if I need to do this or not?

Passive anti-theft system aka: transponder keys. Explorers don't have PATS?

They have PATS. Swapping out a cluster has no effect on the system.

oh ok, glad to know that this shouldnt be too hard. I just have one problem though, i just realized I bought the gauge of a 2wd instead of a 4wd. I want it to be accurate so now I need to get one thats for a 4wd. Do you think anyone on here would be interested in buying this one since I dont need it?

oh ok, glad to know that this shouldnt be too hard. I just have one problem though, i just realized I bought the gauge of a 2wd instead of a 4wd. I want it to be accurate so now I need to get one thats for a 4wd. Do you think anyone on here would be interested in buying this one since I dont need it?

Only difference is the 2WD cluster has different overlays on the rightmost gauges, i.e. 4Hi, 4Lo etc won't show up on it if used on a 4WD Explorer. 2WD cluster also works well with the AWD 2nd gens (like I have).

Also, you can't sell on the site until you get an Elite membership. Even sending out "feeler posts" is against the rules. Just a heads up.

Only difference is the 2WD cluster has different overlays on the rightmost gauges, i.e. 4Hi, 4Lo etc won't show up on it if used on a 4WD Explorer. 2WD cluster also works well with the AWD 2nd gens (like I have).

Also, you can't sell on the site until you get an Elite membership. Even sending out "feeler posts" is against the rules. Just a heads up.

oh ok, thanx for the heads up.

Back