Will ditigal HVAC work? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will ditigal HVAC work?

This one was next to the GEM & looks like it may plug into the HVAC.

Attachments

• lt_plug.jpg
    lt_plug.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 949

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by BIG COUNTRY
HARRY5051:

...if anyone out there where the damn Generic Electric Module (GEM) is located in the dash???? the cd-rom says its by the 4x4 switch..... but thats the sport utility 4x4 module....hmmmm...is it saying that the 4x4 module is the GEM????

If you look on the left of where the stereo would be, there's a black box with a bunch of wires pluged into it.

«1997 Explorer/Mountaineer Table of Contents»
«Group 4: Electrical»
«Section 412-04: CONTROL COMPONENTS»
«DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION»

Automatic Climate Control System
Input Sensors/Switches

Automatic Temperature Control Sensor

The automatic temperature control sensor (19C734), located behind the instrument panel (04320) and above the glove compartment, contains a thermistor which measures temperature of air inside the passenger compartment.

A/C Ambient Air Temperature Sensor

The A/C ambient air temperature sensor and bracket (19E702), located in front of the A/C condenser core (19712) on the LH side of the vehicle, contains a thermistor which measures temperature of the outside air.

A/C Sunload Sensor

The A/C sunload sensor (19E663), located beneath the RH defroster grille, contains a photovoltaic (sensitive to sunlight) diode.

A/C Cycling Switch

The A/C cycling switch (19E561), located in the engine compartment on top of the suction accumulator/drier (19C836), senses pressures within the air conditioning system, and energizes or de-energizes the A/C clutch (2884) to maintain the designed operating pressures within the air conditioning system.

Pulse Width Modulator

The pulse width modulator works with the dimmer control on the headlamp switch to control the instrument panel and A/C control (19980) illumination intensity.

A/C Blower Motor Speed Control

CAUTION:
The system should not be operated with the blower motor (18527) disconnected. Damage may occur to the A/C blower motor speed control (19E624) if cooling air is not provided by the blower motor.

The A/C blower motor speed control, located in the A/C evaporator housing (19850), converts low current signals from the electronic control assembly to a high current, variable ground feed to the blower motor. A delay function provides a gradual increase or decrease in blower motor speeds in all conditions. In addition, there is a high blower relay integral with the blower speed controller which provides power for maximum airflow in the high blower position.

A/C Electronic Door Actuator Motor

The A/C electronic door actuator motor (19E616), located on top of the A/C evaporator housing, controls the A/C air temperature control door (19D842) movement on command from the control assembly.

Vacuum Control Motors

Three vacuum control motors (18A318) control the movement of the air distribution and temperature control doors:

l A three-position vacuum control motor, mounted on the A/C evaporator housing, operates the heater air damper door (18A361) to direct airflow to the floor, to the plenum, or to split the airflow between the floor and the plenum.

l A two-position vacuum control motor, mounted on the A/C evaporator housing, operates the heater and A/C air inlet duct door (18731) to draw air from inside the vehicle for MAX A/C operation or from outside for other function operations.

l A two-position vacuum control motor, located inside the plenum, operates the windshield defroster door (18A478) which directs airflow either to the windshield defroster hose nozzle (18490) or to the panel A/C registers.

«1997 Explorer/Mountaineer Table of Contents»
«Group 4: Electrical»
«Section 412-04: CONTROL COMPONENTS»
«DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION»

Manual Climate Control System

Fan Speed Control

The A/C and heater system blower motor fan is controlled by a four position rotary switch located on the left side of the climate control head. The operating speeds are: LOW, MEDIUM LOW, MEDIUM HIGH, and HIGH. These operating speeds are controlled by three resistors wired in a series in the A/C blower motor resistor A/C blower motor resistor (19A706). The resistor assembly also has a thermal limiter which acts as a temperature sensitive fuse.

l In the LOW position, current flows through all three resistors.

l In the MEDIUM LOW position, current flows through two of the resistors.

l In the MEDIUM HIGH position, current flows through one resistor.

l In the HIGH position, current flow bypasses the resistors.

The limiter will open at approximately 121ºC (250ºF) and interrupt the circuit for all speeds except HIGH. Once opened, the limiter cannot be reset. The resistor assembly must be replaced.

Airflow Control

The A/C damper door switch (19B888), located on the right side of the control head, allows the flow of heated or cooled air to be directed through the duct system by means of vacuum operated motors opening and closing doors within the air plenum chamber. This switch activates the A/C clutch control circuit and allows the operation of the blower motor fan.

l The PANEL, PANEL/FLOOR, FLOOR, DEFROST/FLOOR, and DEFROST positions are shown as icons on the control head. OFF, MAX A/C, and A/C are printed.

l In the OFF position, all climate control functions cease. The outside air inlet door is closed and the blower motor fan circuit is shut off.

l The MAX A/C position opens the recirculating air door, closes off the outside air inlet, and engages the A/C clutch circuit. The air is directed to the instrument panel registers.

l The A/C position closes the recirculating door, opens the outside air inlet allowing outside air to enter and continues the A/C clutch circuit. The air continues to exit through the panel registers.

l The PANEL position allows outside air to flow through the panel registers with the A/C system off.

l With the A/C system on, the PANEL/FLOOR position allows outside air to flow between the panel registers and the floor outlets.

l The FLOOR position directs outside air through the floor outlets.

l With the A/C system on, the FLOOR/DEFROST position directs the outside air to flow between the floor outlets and the windshield defroster nozzles.

l With the A/C system on, the DEFROST position directs outside air to flow through the defroster nozzles only.

Temperature Control

The temperature of the incoming air is controlled by the middle switch in the control head. This switch controls the position of the blend air door inside the air plenum chamber. The incoming air is directed through or around the heater core by the position of the blend air door, raising or lowering the temperature.

Vacuum System

The vacuum system is the source of power for the function of the mode doors. Engine vacuum is supplied to and stored in the vacuum reservoir, which is located on top of the right frame rail behind the headlight assembly. A vacuum check valve is built into the reservoir. The vacuum is routed to the function control switch, the vacuum motors, and the heater core water control valve through a color-coded vacuum hose harness.

The First post is the description of the Automatic System, the second post is our Manual system.

As you can see, there is a lot more than just plugging it in. We'll need ALL the components, including the blower motor speed control, since it's variable as opposed to fixed multi position.

Thanks billy and hey, i will post each step after i correct what is left...and Harry5150: that is the same backing as mine...hmmmm, and the vaccum hoses didnt match either

I stopped by my local salvage yard and they had a nice crunched Limited with all the electronics.

They wouldn't let the climate control go for less than $200. What did you guys pay for the control head, sensors, relays and wiring?

Any tips on locating a good donor in the MA area?

mine was very low...so low geezzz it was a steal

I have a 97 - will any digital climate work? Or do i need one form a 97?

Also, what's the best way to remove/install the sunload sensor?

Looks like the '96 and '97 are alike, but all others would be more of a crapshoot. I'm interested in the sunload sensor info, too.

Honestly, my '97's manual climate controls work just fine, but these swap threads are addictive. Once I start reading, I've gotta know more!

In my area, most of the Explorers must go to some specialty dismantler. The local salvage yards rarely have any, with the possible exception of the ones that burn down to the ground or get hit by freight trains. It seems like nothing interesting ever reaches the "pick n' pull" yards hereabouts.

Perhaps my insurance agent might know where the "good stuff" goes.

Back