• Register Today It's free!

Will it start????

Bluetoo

Reaction score
City, State
Pacific Junction, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer Sport
2003 Ex Sport 4wd 4.0 auto. We've had this ole girl since 2019. Everything has been great. Until one very cold day last winter. She would not start. Strong crank but acted like
no spark or no fuel. Tried ether and got her to bark but no sustained running. Dumped some Heet down the tank, (even though it's got e10 in it) waited 1/2 a hr and by God, she fired right up. No more starting issues till this winter. Tried same fix. Nope!
Now it takes ether to get her to start when she acts up. But it's a toss up whether she goes or not... HELP!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Change your temperature sensor coolant temperature sensor

Cheap easy
You're coolant temperature sensor is on top of your thermostat housing it is gray
Use a ford motorcraft sensor only

Change your temperature sensor coolant temperature sensor

Cheap easy
You're coolant temperature sensor is on top of your thermostat housing it is gray
Use a ford motorcraft sensor only

Why does that keep his engine from starting?

Wildly incorrect temperature readings could result in wildly incorrect air/fuel applications, and an engine that will not start.

My ”guesses” would have to include fuel pump issue. Because those fuel pumps have had problems on my truck.

Is this engine throwing any codes?

Fuel pump or coolant temp sensor. Fix it and don’t keep dumping ether in anything you care about. Next time turn the motor over for 2-3 seconds, 3 times. Then let it crank. If it’s the coolant temp sensor it’ll likely start after the 3rd failure to start.

Wildly incorrect temperature readingsB could result in wildly incorrect air/fuel applications, and an engine that will not start.

My ”guesses” would have to include fuel pump issue. Because those fuel pumps have had problems on my truck.

No. Not throwing any codes on either of my 2 code readers. BTW, thank you all for your replies

I can confirm this issue with the temp sensor. Using my Foxwell scanner, I could read the data sent from the sensor, and the numbers were way off, at zero degrees, it was reporting 159F, so it would throw off the air/fuel ratios.
After replacing the sensor, it ran and started well, MPG is up a little as well.

EDIT: it did eventually throw a P1299 code, which led me to the sensor issue.

Greg

Congrats!!!

@donalds …. “eight ball, corner pocket.” Nice.

Wildly incorrect temperature readings could result in wildly incorrect air/fuel applications, and an engine that will not start.

My neighbor's 02 F150 had that problem - the sensor was telling his truck it was way below zero temp, in the summer! Wouldn't start either till he had it replaced.

I am wondering how many faulty temp sensors are out there. Not only did it affect starting on mine (04' 4.6 v8 full time AWD) but after replacing it, my "reported" mileage went from 15.0, to 16.2 with mostly rural hiway driving.

Back