Will Newer 4.0 engine fit in a 2nd Gen? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I would simply find a 97 PCM for a 4.0 and 5 speed, I likely already have one :) and wire that in. That is why I said 4.0 SOHC and 5 speed would be the easiest (AND A HECK OF ALLOTA FUN TO DRIVE IN A SPORT)

I love your enthusiasm, I share this :)
i see! nice to learn from the experts!!!! love to learn new stuff, and hope to learn more soon from you!!!! if all works out, hoping i can be up there for at least a tiny bit to see what goes on in the shop before bringin it back home! ;)

yes there is
Sure thing

in fact I know of a 94 Explorer sport running a 2004 Ranger SOHC engine using the 94 EEC-IV OBD1 computer, how? Its simple really you can even keep the 94 return style fuel system if you use a 97 SOHC fuel rail and regulator (one year thing)

the difference between a say 97 SOHC engine and a 97 explorer ohv engine from the computer point of view is the sohc engine has a cam sensor mounted on the valve cover, the 97 ohv has a cam sensor mounted on the camshaft.
Thats it, otherwise they are very similar, from the pcm point of view
The OHV and SOHC have the same bolt pattern, your 97 auto trans will bolt to any 4.0 SOHC engine 97-2014

You can convert your 97 Explorer sport to a SOHC 4.0 and newer 5r55e auto trans if you are so determined to do so!
But this IS a conversion.... the best approach is to get the entire donor vehicle, like a wrecked ranger.
You should stick with 2005 and earlier to keep things simple
After 2005 the drivetrain computer got much more complicated to interface into our older trucks

I believe we could likely keep your 97 4.0 OHV computer that currently runs the pushrod engine and make it run a sohc engine
I also believe we could use a later model 5r55e automatic and make it work with your current 97 drivetrain computer.....maybe, this one I have to check into a little bit more.

If you wanted to convert to a SOHC 4.0 and a 5 speed setup that would be easiest.

your 97 sport came with a sohc engine in what 2000? Fitting the SOHC engine is a bolt in deal, although you will have some choices to make What computer to run, you would want to convert to returnless fuel like all other 98+ ford SOHC vehicles, again that all bolts in.
You currently have an early version of the 5r55e transmission, this sucker went through some changes after they dropped the a4ld and added computer controls (4r55e, 5r55e)95/96/97 and then 98-01 and finally 02-11 are basically all the same behind the 4.0 in the Ranger
I am not sure why your 97 PCM will not control a later model 5r55e based on what these guys said above it may be difficult... so if that proves impossible and you are dead set on running the 5r55e auto then you can swap in the donor vehicles computer and wiring...... the bottom line is a 97 Explorer is physically the same vehicle (similar enough) as a 95-01 Explorer, 02-04 sport or sport trac, or 98-11 Ranger

with the two vehicles sitting next to each other it is rather straight forward to put the drivetrain from any 95-2005 RBV into that 97 2 door
Just know what you are getting into..... before you get too far into it
Well now you opened a door of ideas for me 😂
For now i decided to just send everything to get rebuilt and run it stock
But i will definitely keep thinkin about the Manual swap.

Back