Window washer pump only works for windshield, not rear. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Window washer pump only works for windshield, not rear.

BadaBingM3

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4WD 2DR Explorer
So went through the 5 main threads and sounds like I have a relay issue but they do not address which relay nor which one exactly needs replacing. Front washer motor kicks on and I get fluid, when selecting rear washer, fluid flow, only whipper arm movement. Replaced the rotating knob switch in the dash, new rear motor installed and also a new washer fluid pump at the reservoir. No leaks anywhere. When depressing the rear windshield whipper/washer button, arm moves as expected but no sound coming from the pump. Again, works fine for windshield. I've read the relay is in the box below the airbox passenger side but which relay is it and what relay should I go get? Thanks.

It uses the same type of relay that several other circuits use, so for testing you could just swap that relay with another known working relay, and that also lets you test the questionable relay in the other formerly working circuit - EXCEPT, sometimes when you disturb a relay it can begin working again, temporarily but at least this tells you if everything else is okay in the washer circuit. All the same shape/size are the same, compatible, as long as they both have all 5 pins on the bottom.

When all else fails, I whip out a multimeter and probe for where power stops in the circuit. Relay box diagram and wiring diagrams attached. You can get the motorcraft part # off the relay to order same, or multiple brands make a compatible relay for example I got one of these off amazon, Standard Motor Products RY612:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C83SRC/?tag=serious-20

Relay Box Under Airbox.jpg

Attachments

• wiper-washer-rear-wiper-washer-circuit-1-of-1.pdf
    44.9 KB · Views: 112
  • wiper-washer-front-wiper-washer-circuit-1-of-1.pdf
    59.2 KB · Views: 89

It uses the same type of relay that several other circuits use, so for testing you could just swap that relay with another known working relay, and that also lets you test the questionable relay in the other formerly working circuit - EXCEPT, sometimes when you disturb a relay it can begin working again, temporarily but at least this tells you if everything else is okay in the washer circuit. All the same shape/size are the same, compatible, as long as they both have all 5 pins on the bottom.

When all else fails, I whip out a multimeter and probe for where power stops in the circuit. Relay box diagram and wiring diagrams attached. You can get the motorcraft part # off the relay to order same, or multiple brands make a compatible relay for example I got one of these off amazon, Standard Motor Products RY612:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C83SRC/?tag=serious-20

View attachment 329662
Wow Man! Thanks for the help. Very much appreciated!

Back