windshield wiper fluid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

windshield wiper fluid

patort15

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer sport
i have a 2000 ford explorer sport and for some reason my windshield wiper fluid isnt coming out when i press the button. what do i do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you hear the squirter motor pumping?

(Have someone press the washer button, and you stand by the passenger side and see of you can hear the pump pumping.

If its pumping, you probably have a leak somewhere, which is a 5 minute easy fix. If you can't hear it, then check your fuses and relays, if all is well, try testing the lead for power. If your getting power, its most likely a bad pump. That's also inexpensive and easy to change. In fact, I did a write up when i swapped mine out.

You still have that link for the write up BrianDye?

where would the fuse be located for that?

If you hold down the button does it eventually spray washer fluid? On my 1995 if i hold the button long enough it eventually sprays, I expect that a bad multifunction switch is the culprit on my ex.

Where is this switch?

Do the front and rear fluid lines run off the same pump?

I'm having the same issue, but my rear fluid line works just fine. I suspect there is a leak somewhere or the line is clogged.

Its the turn signal lever. The multifunction switch controls wipers and signals. The failure of this switch is a common problem on older explorers. On my 1995 holding down the the button will eventually make the fluid spray, so i haven't bothered fixing it yet.

Do the front and rear fluid lines run off the same pump?

I'm having the same issue, but my rear fluid line works just fine. I suspect there is a leak somewhere or the line is clogged.

Depends on what year your Ex is. 1991-1997 had separate pumps each mounted on their respective fluid tanks. '98+ had a single dual-direction pump in the engine compartment tank and had hose running to the rear of the truck. Also, check your relays. The ones under the hood like to corrode and cease triggering the pump.

Also, check THIS thread.

Its the turn signal lever. The multifunction switch controls wipers and signals. The failure of this switch is a common problem on older explorers. On my 1995 holding down the the button will eventually make the fluid spray, so i haven't bothered fixing it yet.

Yeah that's what mine is doing, I have to press it down hard for it to work. I wonder how hard is it to change out that switch.

Thanks. Relays were corroded as ****. Sandpaper took care of that.

Back