Wiper Arms

96eb96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
I bought some fancy bosch wiper blades and they do a horrible job of cleaning the windows. The old ones I took out are lousy but do a better job! The central area seems to get little cleaning action.

You can stick a card under the center of the bosch blades on the vehicle- and they make an arch if you take them out of the vehicle.

I'm wondering the the wiper arm springs get tired - and should be replaced. The arms aren't expensive (and the paint on mine are all gone), but if it is going to be the same there is no reason to swap them (seems the regular blades work fine, but i do notice the very ends need a bit more force to seat on the window.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's definitely not the blades. I've used Bosch blades for a couple years now and they are equally as good as Rain-x latitudes which are the best on the market IMO. These things work great for me in mud, rain, sleet and snow. Its possible the springs are worn.

sounds like you need to replace the arms. they're not applying enough pressure.

Thanks guys, I priced them and they are real cheap with some discounts.
I did some spring scale testing with some other cars and the arms are definitely lifting with a bit less effort.
Going to order...

I have the Bosch Icon wiper blades, mainly because I think Reid Timmer is a badass, and he sold them to me during Tornado Chasers. Regardless mine do the exact same thing, I have a feeling that our 17 year old arm, are just worn out. I plan on getting new ones in the spring when I do my many various repairs

I installed some drum brake "helper springs" on the arms. One was the small spring from the ebrake that goes across the adjuster. Perfect fit, effortless install, probably restored stock tension. Another one (for the driver) was a bit stiffer (could be from the ex or another car). I want more performance on that side even if there is a bit of noise(none observed, maybe even quieter than before). I'm very happy now with the performance, I don't need the new arms. I even tried some old wipers and they work as well as the bosch with the new tension. So, when you do your ebrake, the old springs have a new home. Always wear full safety glasses when playing with springs.

I also use 22" blades for the ex. They are a perfect end to end fit, and give you an extra 2" on each end. The 18" suggested blades are a bit small.

Back